Foundation check.

ladycoralie

Hi Guys. I was hoping someone could check the foundation and basement of my plan please. I have tried to follow the instructions for creating a walkout basement on Chief but I find it really confusing - especially this part - "Next, select Build> Floor> Build Foundation  to create a basement level with stem walls of at least 100 inches (8 feet plus 4 inches for the foundation slab)." I just don't understand what they mean here, so I've muddled through it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers and thanks

Coralie

Mountain Starbasement.plan

12 minutes ago, solver said:

A walkout basement is a basement where the terrain slopes to provide access.

I believe some people like to put it on level 1, the foundation on level 0 and house starting on level 2, but I don't believe it's required.

What do you find confusing about building the foundation, other than it's in feet and inches :) ?

That the stem walls are both 100 inches and 8'4" at the same time. I 'm not sure if I've got the heights of my rooms right and the stem walls as well, because I put in 2440 height for rooms when I built the stem walls but they came out at 2060 when I checked it, so as a reulst I'm confused about how to build it. I thought when I put in 2440 the rooms would be that too. I know I'm missing something.

There's a sample plan at Chief's website that's a good example of a step-down house.  I call a walkout a step-down because it suits my structural-engineer sense.

The foundation is stepped into the hillside.  Auto-build won't work for these.  You'll edit stemwalls and footings to get to proper bearing and frost-protection (if needed).

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, solver said:

A walkout basement is a basement where the terrain slopes to provide access.

I believe some people like to put it on level 1, the foundation on level 0 and house starting on level 2, but I don't believe it's required.

What do you find confusing about building the foundation, other than it's in feet and inches :) ?

OMG! I'm such a dope of course 100 inches = 8'4". Definitely having a blonde moment there. GAH! :P

• Upvote 2