Aligning Wall Issues

wjmdes

Seems recently I have noticed walls not aligning (no where close) when I use the align command.  I am having particular issues with the exterior walls on the attached plan.  I have tried all sorts of different ideas and just can't find that simple fi that I know is there.

On a different project, I had to move all the upstairs 2X4 walls 2" to properly align with 2X6 below.  I do not ever recall having issues before X9.

Lindsey 2.JPG

Lindsey.zip

As far as I know to use that tool you need to be within 1/2 the wall thickness for it to work , otherwise CA assumes it it deliberate.

Using F9 to turn on your Reference Floor display may help... Pic 1

Part of the issue in the pic above is that your foundation is broken or ? (Pic2 ) and the Terrain has "invaded" the Building at that point. (Pic3)

the Plan does seem to have ALOT of misaligned Walls,...did you change Wall definitions 1/2 through perhaps? Are the Wall Settings for al Wall definition set up the same? ie the Alignment Layer is setup properly ? eg all set to the Outside of foundation/Sheathing for each all type all the way up?  Start a the Foundation level and work your way up the house, i'd think is the Best way , unless the foundation isn't the right size ???? once it's right align the 1st floor , then the 2nd.

Just a FYI .....before posting a plan, zoom in on the area of concern and save the file , so that when others open it , it opens where you left off...makes it much easier to find what/where the issue is that the  person is talking about , a saved camera view is handy too

Capture11.JPG

Capture12.JPG

Capture10.JPG

16 hours ago, wjmdes said:

Seems recently I have noticed walls not aligning (no where close) when I use the align command.  I am having particular issues with the exterior walls on the attached plan.  I have tried all sorts of different ideas and just can't find that simple fi that I know is there.

On a different project, I had to move all the upstairs 2X4 walls 2" to properly align with 2X6 below.  I do not ever recall having issues before X9.

Lindsey 2.JPG

Lindsey.zip

You have your walls checked as foundation walls which don't allow the align tool to work with the floor above

10 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

You have your walls checked as foundation walls which don't allow the align tool to work with the floor above

I was actually just about to respond to this too.  I think you found the right culprit but its not stopping the align tool from working.  A person just has to understand how the align tool works with foundation walls.  When the wall below is set to a foundation wall and you try to align to that foundation wall, its the Foundation To Exterior Of layer that will align to the Main layer of the foundation wall below...Or visa versa; if you select the foundation wall and align with wall above, that foundation wall's Main layer will align with the Foundation To Exterior Of layer for the wall above.

3 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

2 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I was actually just about to respond to this too.  I think you found the right culprit but its not stopping the align tool from working.  A person just has to understand how the align tool works with foundation walls.  When the wall below is set to a foundation wall and you try to align to that foundation wall, its the Foundation To Exterior Of layer that will align to the Main layer of the foundation wall below...Or visa versa; if you select the foundation wall and align with wall above, that foundation wall's Main layer will align with the Foundation To Exterior Of layer for the wall above.

Nice catch Guys !  I didn't have time to delve Deeper last night so that is Great news ... if not a lot of work to "fix" perhaps.

M.

So basically if  do a main level and then do a basement with foundation walls, then I have to turn off "FOUNDATION WALL", align and then turn on "FOUNDATION WALL"?!?.  I have to be missing something.  If I turn off FOUNDATION WALL, I have no footing?.  Should basements go on Level 1?  Not having the main level on Level 1 could cause major OCD issues.

Turning the walls FOUNDATION off did work marvelously however, no footings.

21 minutes ago, wjmdes said:

So basically if  do a main level and then do a basement with foundation walls, then I have to turn off "FOUNDATION WALL", align and then turn on "FOUNDATION WALL"?!?.  I have to be missing something.  If I turn off FOUNDATION WALL, I have no footing?.  Should basements go on Level 1?  Not having the main level on Level 1 could cause major OCD issues.

Turning the walls FOUNDATION off did work marvelously however, no footings.

No no no.  All you have to do is change the Foundation To Exterior Of Layer to the Fir Stud wall layer.  Easy as that.  Read back through my post again and see if it makes more sense the second time around. 

It's not that simple.  There are several ways a person might build a foundation with a brick veneer above...

•They could use a poured wall foundation, a CMU wall, or pour a slab on grade...Any of those 3 with or without a brick ledge where the concrete supports the brick veneer

•They could use any of the above foundation types and use angle iron instead of extending the foundation

•...and I'm sure there are tons of other methods beyond those 9

In addition to the many construction techniques there are several different ways to make walls properly align with foundation walls too.  You can do as I suggested and adjust the "Foundation To" layer but, you can also...

•Use the foundation offset

•Adjust your foundation wall definition to change what is defined as a main layer and what is defined as an exterior layer

•Adjust your normal walls to change what is defined as a main layer and what is defined as an exterior layer

In addition to all that you can also manipulate your walls by calling walls on multiple floors foundation walls (not something I've done very often).

So...the OOB wall definition you mentioned could be used in any number of scenarios.  At the end of the day it just completely depends on exactly what you need to draw up and what works best for your particular situation.  You just need to change the appropriate settings accordingly.