Ledger to Wall Framing

GTdraftingdesign

Even when using a pony wall below the ledger still goes over the siding or stucco. the ledger really should attach to the studs directly and not over the siding, Please Chief fix this as it has been incorrect forever. I always have to manually move the ledger.

2 hours ago, Gawdzira said:

The ledger is showing on top of the siding. If you draw a section through this area and show framing you will see the layers and location. I don't like that this is the default. Is there a setting to get this to correct?

Capture.PNG

There may be another way, but as far as I know, the only thing you can do is this:

• Open the roof plane and check "No Special Snapping".
  • Drag the roof plane so that it snaps to your framing layer and then drag it a little further than that by exactly the distance of your fascia.  You may or may not also want to break the roof plane edge and drag the overhanging sections of that same edge one way or another.
  • Build framing for at least that roof plane.

Hope that helps.

5 minutes ago, javatom said:

That might work.  You would probably then have to lock your roof framing and pull the roof plane back so it doesn't cause other problems.

I don't know about that.  I think that the roof should be broken and reshaped in many instances.  It could easily be argued in this particular instance that the whole roof plane edge in question should be dragged to that location anyway.  

17 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

I really feel this is wrong and needs to finally be fixed in the program.

I think I agree.  We should have a preference for where that "Special Snapping" occurs at walls.  Me for example?  I would want that ledger over the top of the wall sheathing.  The OP?  He wants it at the framing layer.  I don't think I've ever seen a situation where mounting it to the face of the exterior cladding surface was the way to go though (except maybe if the cladding and exterior sheathing are the same layer (i.e. T1-11).  

Thanks Micheal, I had never needed this option so I was unaware of the special snapping option.

2 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I think I agree.  We should have a preference for where that "Special Snapping" occurs at walls.  Me for example?  I would want that ledger over the top of the wall sheathing.  The OP?  He wants it at the framing layer.  I don't think I've ever seen a situation where mounting it to the face of the exterior cladding surface was the way to go though (except maybe if the cladding and exterior sheathing are the same layer (i.e. T1-11).  

2 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Here we only use sheathing for shear walls and siding, mostly stucco here. I'm my case I would want the ledger attached to the studs in most cases.

Just now, DRAWZILLA said:

Here we only use sheathing for shear walls and siding, mostly stucco here. I'm my case I would want the ledger attached to the studs in most cases.

It really depends on where the ledger is relative to the top and bottom plates of each floor.  Sheathing has to be continuous from the bottom of the wall to the top of the wall (plates).  If the ledger is not at a floor platform then the ledger would be applied over the sheathing. 

I moved the roof as Alaskan_Son suggested. What I noticed is:

• the ledger is bound to the outside edge of the wall. My wall is 5 1/2" framing, 3/8" sheathing, 1/2" siding. Combined with the 1/2" gyp in the interior, the wall is a total of 6 7/8". For some reason the ledger will not move pass the exterior material (lapboard) even when I "lock" the roof framing as Gawdzira suggests.

• What I'm seeing from the section cuts .. once "No special snapping" is checked for the roof and the roof is moved, Chief will add a piece of fascia to the ridge end of the rafters and the ledger still snaps to the exterior end of the 6 7/8" wall.

• If the roof is moved without the framing "locked", and I rebuild the roof framing, the result is: the ledger still snapped to the exterior end of wall.

• If roof "No special snapping" is checked, and the wall (that the roof is connected to) is checked for "Lower Wall Type if Split by Butting Roof", the wall will resort back to a normal wall from a ponywall and the exterior materials will display in 3D. I take that as extra materials on the cutsheets.

• Turning the attic wall back into a pony wall doesn't seem to work once roof is moved. the 3D display just shows framing with exterior material towards the top of the wall. I assume that because "No special snapping" was checked, the wall does not recognize that the roof exists or vice versa.

In closing ... I just want to say that I know it's my inexperience with Chief Architect. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. However, if Chief really has problems with simple structural placement such as a ledger attaching to framing or shear than I hope you (Programmers) can fix it. I expected to stay within Chief Architect as I design and frame and not have to open other CAD programs to finish work.