Object snaps not working

capitaldesigns

My object snaps stop working. I have objects snap, end points, intersections, midpoint and on object checked.

When I run the cross hairs over the end or center of a line or wall nothing happens.

It was working earlier. I tock off for about an hour and now snaps isn't working. I s there another setting some where

that could have been turned off ?

Thanks,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2017 at 0:13 AM, capitaldesigns said:

My object snaps stop working. I have objects snap, end points, intersections, midpoint and on object checked.

When I run the cross hairs over the end or center of a line or wall nothing happens.

It was working earlier. I tock off for about an hour and now snaps isn't working. I s there another setting some where

that could have been turned off ?

Thanks,

Mike

MIke, I've been having this issue intermittently with X8 for quite awhile and just figured it out while on the phone with my SSA technical support. Apparently it's not a known issue with them either.

In this most recent incident, I couldn't find any snap points (in plan view) when using the Point to Point Move tool. So I closed Chief and reopened-No Luck. Then I exited Chief and rebooted my computer-No Luck. I then opened another job folder and had No Problem. I reopened the offending job file to plan view (1st floor level) and still had no snaps. I then changed floors to the foundation level and had all snaps, same for the second floor level. Went back to 1st floor level, No Snaps. 

Finally, I selected the "Display Points" icon on my pull down menu, selected "Delete Temp Points", selected and placed a "Point Marker"- inserted the point marker in the drawing and was able to move it using the "Point to Point" tool. I now have all off my snap points working normally again. I relayed this to Tech Support and now they know about it. 

Not sure if this matters, but recently, when I start a new drawing, I place a "Point" and then relocate it to absolute Zero x & y and start my first wall from the 0,0 point. Let me know if this works for you next time it occurs. Thanks, Brad

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Archnot-Boltz said:

Not sure if this matters, but recently, when I start a new drawing, I place a "Point" and then relocate it to absolute Zero x & y and start my first wall from the 0,0 point.

Not sure why I did it now, but I did exactly the same thing a couple of years ago in my template plan. I don't usually have this problem but it does occur occasionally. My biggest problem usually comes more from the sections; I still have a dickens of a time getting snaps to work properly in cross sections and I have tried changing every locate setting in the dialog box.

3 minutes ago, Ridge_Runner said:

My biggest problem usually comes more from the sections; I still have a dickens of a time getting snaps to work properly in cross sections and I have tried changing every locate setting in the dialog box.

Sections have always been super limited with regard to snaps.  There are only a handful of things other than section lines (the automatically produced CAD lines that are produced where the camera cuts through an object) that you can really snap to.  Depending on what exactly you're needing to dimension, I think its often faster and easier to just...

1. Create a CAD Detail From View
  2. Dimension what you need to in that CAD detail
  3. With the dimension tool still activated, shift select all your dimensions and cut/paste hold position those dimensions back into your elevation view 
  4. Change to the point marker tool, shift select all the points, and then...
  5. Either change the marker radius to zero, change the line style to the invisible line style, or put them on their own unique layer and then just turn that layer off.  The last option is what I feel is probably the best.  This way you can always toggle that layer back on to proof check things at any time.

3 hours ago, Ridge_Runner said:

Thanks, Michael. I usually use CAD lines on simple sections but am going more and more to "CAD detail from view" after watching some of your always good videos. Thanks again for your valuable time and expertise; it is very much appreciated.

You're welcome. Just wanted to make sure and clarify though… I would typically recommend dimensioning to an actual 3-D object whenever possible. The method I spelled out above is more of a stopgap solution for those situations where there is no real usable snap point... which is often the case in elevation views. 

• 7 months later...
On 8/17/2017 at 4:41 PM, Alaskan_Son said:

You're welcome. Just wanted to make sure and clarify though… I would typically recommend dimensioning to an actual 3-D object whenever possible. The method I spelled out above is more of a stopgap solution for those situations where there is no real usable snap point... which is often the case in elevation views. 

Michael,  Great tip!  I've been pulling my hair out over this problem.  Thanks!

• 2 years later...
On 8/17/2017 at 11:49 AM, Archnot-Boltz said:

Finally, I selected the "Display Points" icon on my pull down menu, selected "Delete Temp Points", selected and placed a "Point Marker"- inserted the point marker in the drawing and was able to move it using the "Point to Point" tool. I now have all off my snap points working normally again. I relayed this to Tech Support and now they know about it. 

Great tip. I just was going crazy wondering what was going on - I deleted all the temporary points that were created when I was messing with the roof, and now the snaps work. Must have some kind of internal limit on how many snap points the program can handle. Thanks!