Center Block on another Block?

ACADuser

I insert Rebar blocks into the CMU wall, mostly with the distribute tool but sometimes I drop them at intersections & Window.

The do not center automatically on the CMU wall so I would like to use the "Center Tool" but it will not align with existing rebar blocks in the wall.

The Wall takes priority and you can not select the block to center on. Please don't tell me to turn the wall off & on.

The wall main layer would be OK but the center tool only uses the entire wall to center on.

Any tricks?

Align.JPG

Alan,  I was going to tell you to lock the wall but I tried that and it does not work as one might expect it could.  So my next best suggestion is to use the point to point tool and click on the rebar then go to the rebar that is already centered and drag out a centerline extension and click.  Not as smooth as the center tool would be if it worked but doable.   What is your best method for centering the original ?

There are bajillions of ways to deal with centering objects like this.   Using an insertion point is just the one that seemed to fit the bill best at first thought.   A few other things I could also see using/exploring...

-  Copy/Paste in place an already centered block and slide it into position.

-  Placing your blocks in the front drawing group.

-  Centering on wall and then using the tab method to offset the item the appropriate distance.

-  Creating and using an actual 3D object along with origin offsets or other tricks to allow the object to snap to a known constant.   This is one of my preferred methods as it increases the accuracy of your 3-D model as well. 

-  Drawing temporary lines, boxes, or circles to snap to.

-   Using the tab method to relocate an existing object a specific distance, snapping to that object, and then moving both back over the same distance. 

-   Drawing your objects on a different floor where you have something better to snap to and then cutting and pasting in place on the appropriate floor. 

-   Using ALDO to temporarily turn off layers. 

-   Using a Distributed Object Polyline 

…and I'm sure the list could go on.   I think it's just one of those situations where you will have to find the method or combination of methods that works best for your workflow and/or for the particular situation. 

Thanks Michael.

I appreciate you sharing your knowledge. You're short of a bajillion though. :)

I like these three but the others are too much work.

-  Copy/Paste in place an already centered block and slide it into position.  I like this the best so far

-  Placing your blocks in the front drawing group. Doesn't seem to work in this case

-  Centering on wall and then using the tab method to offset the item the appropriate distance.

This one brings up a gripe I have with Chief. So many dialogs in Autocad that ask for Distance offer a PICK button.

Hit the pick button & you are back to the drawing where you actually pick the distance like you do in "Point Move"

I really miss that option in chief's dialogs.

1 hour ago, ACADuser said:

This one brings up a gripe I have with Chief. So many dialogs in Autocad that ask for Distance offer a PICK button.

Hit the pick button & you are back to the drawing where you actually pick the distance like you do in "Point Move"

I really miss that option in chief's dialogs.

I'm not sure I one hundred percent understand this, but just in case…

You can actually use point-to-point move like I think you might be talking about.   Select your object, click point to point, and then click on any two points in the plan and your object will be moved by exactly that amount and in that same direction.   In other words, the two points do not have to be related to your existing object at all.    You could for example snap your block to the edge of your wall, click point to point, and then use the edge of your wall adjacent to another properly positioned existing block and the center of the same existing block.  Your  SELECTED block will be moved that same distance and therefore right into position. 

Not what I was talking about, sorry to change subjects.

Any dialog that needs a DISTANCE should have a PICK option

Like attached

Click the button and you are in the drawing for a two point pick to get distance.

Otherwise if you do not know the distance you must dismiss the dialog.

Start the Measure command & remember the distance.

Open the other dialog & enter it.

What if you are using fractions & the distance is not correct/. i.e. rounded off to nearest 1/4"

CA Dialog.JPG