How to include new cad solid in material list

Doug_N

I am designing a pool outbuilding for a client and have created some custom steel framing, but I don't see the items in the material system.  How do I do this?

Doug Norton

Whitby Ontario

905 409 8487

I have only done a few steel structural buildings over the years. In each case, I was successful in terms of Construction Documentation. It comes down to how you created your custom wall types and how you assigned the metal studs to that custom wall type. As I have said many times here, to gain an accurate Materials List from any Chief model requires attention to details of how you construct your 3D model. A perfectly constructed 3D model that matches the intended structure in EVERY detail from Foundation to Roof ridge is the only model capable of then producing an accurate Materials List. This level of expertise is way beyond the ability of the average Chief Premier user who only has a casual education in how to get perfect results. The last time I had a client who wanted to produce a Materials List, I told him up front that such a 3D construct commonly takes ten times as long to create as opposed to mere Construction Documentation and plans. In my thirty years of use, I have only had one client that was willing to spend that kind of money for a Materials List. Such decisions are up to you to make. It is what people do not know that gets posted here for answers, that is what this forum is for.

It is a lot easier to just measure the length of walls times the intended spacing of studs than to build a relationally correct 3D model for the purpose of doing that simple match.

DJP

• Upvote 1

Doug,

Solids and/or CAD are not included in Material Lists.  Only Architectural Objects (Walls, Doors, Windows, Cabinets, Floors, Roofs, etc) and Symbols are in included in the Materials Lists.

For your Pool Structure you should use Wall and Roof Framing (steel framing) to get those items included in the Materials List.  Just take the time to set the framing defaults, wall types, roof structure, etc and then "Build Framing" for those items.

Also note that only layers marked as "M" in the Layer Sets will be in the Materials List.

6 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Solids and/or CAD are not included in Material Lists.

Joe,

Solids ARE included in the material list.

By default they come in as either Exterior Trim or Interior Trim as "Solid - concrete" description.

34 minutes ago, glennw said:

Joe,

Solids ARE included in the material list.

By default they come in as either Exterior Trim or Interior Trim as "Solid - concrete" description.

OK, I wasn't aware of that but is there really any way to get them to be reported as anything usable in the Materials List?  They don't have a "Components" dbx.  Only by creating a Symbol out of the solid can you get "Components" to assign data to for comprehensive Materials Listing.

13 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

OK, I wasn't aware of that but is there really any way to get them to be reported as anything usable in the Materials List?  They don't have a "Components" dbx.  Only by creating a Symbol out of the solid can you get "Components" to assign data to for comprehensive Materials Listing.

You may not get a Components dbx but you can block the solid, open that block dbx, and under Schedule and Material List you can check Treat As One Object.  This will allow you to utilize the Object Information fields to more usefully populate your material list.

58 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

You may not get a Components dbx but you can block the solid, open that block dbx, and under Schedule and Material List you can check Treat As One Object.  This will allow you to utilize the Object Information fields to more usefully populate your material list.

Yes, but for the purpose of dimensions (Framing Objects for the OP) it's not going to do the job.

Joe, I'm only saying that there is a way to get those things into the material list and there is a way to attach some additional information.  That's all.  It's not perfect, but it can certainly be done.  I should have also noted that a person can also just add any desired info. for the object(s) directly to the material list itself.  There are plenty of situations that could benefit from leaving the object as a primitive rather than converting to a symbol so it's good to know there are ways to do that and still include the object(s) in the material list.

And don't forget that depending on the material type assigned to the solid, the ML list will report different units of measurement.

ie, you can use types like Brick (number), Area (square whatever), Volume (cubic whatever), Tile (number), etc