Program crashed and lost all data on project

hochsmik

I am a Mac user and have the newest iMac with touch bar. I have the newest update for X9 and iOS 10.12.5. A couple nights ago I was working on a new house project. I did "save as" and named the project prior to doing any work. I have auto save set for 1 minute increments. After 2 hours of work, I hit the save icon on the bar and CA crashed. The message popped up saying that it crashed and asked if I wanted to report it or reload it (something to that effect). I clicked the reload button. The project opened back up with the correct name, but it is blank. It doesn't even have the auto saves. I went into the archives folder of CA and opened that one, same thing, just the X/Y coordinates. I tried the fill screen and nothing happened.

Is there any other place that might have my work, or at least part of it? I got a lot done in that 2 hours and really don't want to have to restart from the beginning. 

Don't ask how I know this :( ..........Only other folder that holds .plan files is the Undo Folder ie .undoplan files , but if you change the extension to .plan,  CA won't open it giving an error about a bad Header file ...if you have some files in there? maybe tech support can tell you how to open one or they can fix the "bad header"  for you.

I am not a MAC user, I am a PC user. Early in my career, I had an incident similar to yours. I was like you devastated. What I did about that was to NEVER again depend only upon "Auto Save" alone (Autosave did not save a freeking thing). What I do is to manually save every few seconds manually while I work and if the plan I am working on shows any hinky behavior I manually save it to a new name before proceeding with it (I have the save as, as a back up for that work so far) You can do as you wish but I strongly recommend that you call Tech Support, they know Macs and PCs and if any help is possible they can deliver it. In the mean time, I also recommend that you do as I did and protect you from losses by doing manual saves. My sad incident was in 1999 in Version 6, since then I have NEVER lost any plans to crashes or corruption  Chief Premier is a wonderful program but it is not and probably will not ever be "perfect" in every  way, so it is up to you to step in and take full responsibility for its short comings and foibles. My personal skill level has dramatically increased since 1999 as well. I work a lot with newer users and this sort of thing often happens to them because they are new and still relatively untrained.

You can do something about it and I recommend that you do.

DJP