BATHROOM SINK & COUNTERTOP

interiorarch

Hello. 

Please see the attached screenshot & Chief Architect document for reference. 

I am currently building this base cabinet unit in the Playroom Bathroom of the first floor.  I went to apply this bathroom sink into the countertop and ended up with this result. 

Could someone please explain why the sink is being pushed down into the cabinets, instead of being flush with the marble countertop.  

Hopefully this information makes sense:)

(NOTE: The top drawer is a separate from the bottom base cabinet).  

Thank You!

FLOOR_1_PLAYROOM_RESTROOM.png

CHIEF_JULY_UPDATE_KITCHEN_A_FLOOR_1.plan

Click on the sink, open up the symbol tool (bottom screen left). You will see offsets for the X,Y,Z. I would set them all to 0(zero) and the open up the sink DBX and set the height off of floor. The offsets are set as if the sink was being placed into a normal cabinet, I assume you are placing the sink into a custom counter top.

Your drawer section has no counter so the sink is being placed based on the cabinet below. I can only guess you started with a counter on that one?

In any case-

Select the sink -cabinet will select first, hit tab so sink is outlined, then delete it.

Add 1" to the height of the drawer section and then add a 1" countertop.

Then add your sink.

In general it is easier to start with a counter on the cabinet, then convert it to a custom counter. Often need to open the counter DBX and uncheck set height or thickness from cabinet but still easier to start there. When making custom counter from an existing one I only select a single cabinet's top then resize.

screen 013.png

You could also delete the custom countertop and use custom left/right overhangs on the upper base cabinet:

sink1.thumb.PNG.d11567d02635fc5b85c73b2ca8b02e2f.PNGsink2.thumb.PNG.845b507438bd84112b21773366c8de2c.PNG

After re-inserting the sink into the upper base cabinet, I did have to adjust the sink symbol's Z offset to 7-3/4" for whatever reason.

EDIT: I just realized you're on X8. I can't remember if X8 allowed custom overhangs. My apologies.

53 minutes ago, rlackore said:

You could also delete the custom countertop and use custom left/right overhangs on the upper base cabinet:

sink1.thumb.PNG.d11567d02635fc5b85c73b2ca8b02e2f.PNGsink2.thumb.PNG.845b507438bd84112b21773366c8de2c.PNG

After re-inserting the sink into the upper base cabinet, I did have to adjust the sink symbol's Z offset to 7-3/4" for whatever reason.

EDIT: I just realized you're on X8. I can't remember if X8 allowed custom overhangs. My apologies.

The reason that you had to offset the sink is it is placing in the lower cabinet.

Which made me remember that I moved that lower cabinet out of the way before placing the sink into the drawer cabinet- no need to adjust the symbol.

Note that there is a difference if the top cabinet (drawer) is not given a counter-the sink still looks as if it fits but is set down by the thickness of the counter so the faucet sits low.

X8 doesn't have variable overhangs but the advantage of custom counters is that they can be shown on their own for a counter top drawing. (turn off all layers but cabinets counters and you will only see custom counters- standard ones don't show)

33 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

The reason that you had to offset the sink is it is placing in the lower cabinet.

No, I think it's because the OP's plan default is set to use 1" countertops, and the OOTB default is for 1-1/2" countertops, which is the thickness that the Kohler symbols are set up for. The symbol only needs to be adjusted by 1/2" to sit beneath the 1" countertop correctly.

20 minutes ago, rlackore said:

No, I think it's because the OP's plan default is set to use 1" countertops, and the OOTB default is for 1-1/2" countertops, which is the thickness that the Kohler symbols are set up for. The symbol only needs to be adjusted by 1/2" to sit beneath the 1" countertop correctly.

Um, uh, yes, no, sort of-7-3/4 means it is in the lower cabinet.

I have  no doubt that the sink is set for a 1-1/2" counter and the faucet would look a little better if adjusted by 1/2" OTOH you can certainly get away with the look left alone.

I had done it prior to posting-attached -all counters left alone as custom set at 1". left is OPs, center the drawer is set to have a 1" counter, right drawer has no change so set to have 0" counter.

screen 017.png

sinks.plan

Just now, MarkMc said:

Um, uh, yes, no, sort of-7-3/4 means it is in the lower cabinet.

I disagree. Here is the sink inserted into the upper cabinet with the lower one deleted:

sink3.thumb.PNG.6b7fd83a6ddcad61e0e703c155ba1278.PNG

You can see that the sink is inserted 1/2" lower than the bottom of the 1" countertop. The fix is to either use a OOTB 1-1/2" countertop, or adjust the symbol Z-origin by 1/2".

6 minutes ago, rlackore said:

You can see that the sink is inserted 1/2" lower than the bottom of the 1" countertop. The fix is to either use a OOTB 1-1/2" countertop, or adjust the symbol Z-origin by 1/2".

I'll go along with 1/2", not 7-3/4 it still needs to be placed into the upper drawer cabnet

..bottom cabinet deleted sink goes away, top drawer deleted sinks drops down to the lower cabinet.

screen 019.png

Just now, MarkMc said:

I'll go along with 1/2", not 7-3/4

Ah, there's our misunderstanding. Absolutely the sink should be placed in the upper cabinet. When I posted that I had to set the symbol's z-origin to -7-3/4", what I meant was I changed it by 1/2" from -8-1/4" to -7-3/4", not from 0" to -7-3/4".