fixed window with transom

ChiefuserMathews

There are several ways, and each to their own, but one way is:

1. Insert the lower unit.

2. Insert the upper unit just to one side of the lower unit.

3. Select the upper unit and center it on the lower unit (drag, or align, or whatever command you like to use).

Obviously you have to properly define the dimensions, heights of floor, etc. for each unit. You can do this through the dialog boxes, or in elevation by selecting and dragging. You can go a step further by selecting the upper unit and defining it's level (1, for instance, if the lower unit is 0). When you're all done you can mull the units if you wish. Chapter 11 of the Reference Manual is very useful.

One problem you may encounter is that unless you set the Default window separation to 1/8"  you can't shove the windows close enough together to make it look like that , as the CA default is 3" (2x a Stud). Once shoved together , you can select both , then on the Toolbar use the Mull Icon to join them . You can then save the Unit to your Library for Future Use.

I have this changed in my Template Plan nowadays so I don't need to reset it every Project.....

Something similar was asked here :

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

One problem you may encounter is that unless you set the Default window separation to 1/8"  you can't shove the windows close enough together to make it look like that

I don't seem to have that problem.

wdwsep.thumb.PNG.ca361aead4874594b0f1f87797122e48.PNG

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, rlackore said:

I don't seem to have that problem.

wdwsep.thumb.PNG.ca361aead4874594b0f1f87797122e48.PNG

I am not sure why it happens sometimes, perhaps the default window type ? and as you can see Eric was having issues making the Window look right too in the other thread, ( he didn't reply , so maybe it wasn't a fix for him after all ? )      so I just leave it set small 1/8-1/2" nowadays , so I don't have issues when Mulling , been doing this way for a few years and it's in my Template Plan, so perhaps in X9 that is no longer needed?. If I know I am going to need framing between Windows I set it back to 4" ( 2 studs plus RO space) while placing the Windows and then switch it back before Mulling if needed.

• Upvote 1