Library cabinet door with vertical panel patterns problem

EricWMLim

Hi all,

I have encountered a problem in X9 Premier for a selected manufacturer - Atlantis Outdoor Kitchens -> Door Styles -> Perma - Tek Door Styles -> Key Largo - Key Largo Door

I selected this particular door style (consists of vertical panels) for my cabinet drawers/doors and because I have various widths for my base cabinets, the distance between each vertical panel varies depending on the width of the base cabinet. 

See the word document for my explanation.

How can I make the distance between each vertical panel consistent?

Thanks

Eric

Kitchen base cabinet door.docx

Doors are set to resize consistently across the total width, there is no way to force the distance between the verticals to remain constant as the door resizes for that door. The only option would be to make assorted custom door symbols.

I did not look at your file but presume you have a cabinet door panel that is made to look planked.  See the image attached.

Mark has identified a solution, and I am curious to hear whether you think it is worth the effort to go about doing this.

I'm also curious to know about other software (2020, Revit, . . . ) that addresses this more cleanly.

2017-07-23_1052.png

1 hour ago, GeneDavis said:

I did not look at your file but presume you have a cabinet door panel that is made to look planked.  See the image attached.

Mark has identified a solution, and I am curious to hear whether you think it is worth the effort to go about doing this.

I'm also curious to know about other software (2020, Revit, . . . ) that addresses this more cleanly.

2017-07-23_1052.png

The door he is working with has no rails or stiles.5974efa2af630_KeyLargo.thumb.jpg.39aab5ce50671c9625501c0f41fdbf61.jpg

I doubt that 2020 would behave differently, that is on my old computer at the office (I refuse to load it onto this one) To be able to keep the space between the lines consistent a stretch plane would be needed between each.

I don't don't know the detail at the joint- correct width? chamfer or radius?

Attached is a plan with one way to have cabinets that resize and keep the same detail size. (I also don't know if as the cabinet gets smaller there are fewer panels?) The door made from a psolid has only1/16 chamfers. Trick is to set stretch zones and use individual panels BUT for it to work the cabinet construction gets messy.

Alternative is as I noted to make individual door symbols per size-have an example in the plan ready to be turned into a symbol (BUT I usually make them from wall cabinets so do that first)

Is it worth it? I fuss a lot to make sure all my rails, stiles and raises remain consistent, BUT

....lets assume 1/8" chamfer, total distance between edge of chamfer is 1/4", standard on a 15" door. That means that on a 24" wide door it goes to 0.04" (I don't use doors larger than 21" so would be less). Now print that out at 1/2" to the foot. Difference in print is 0.0025". Even with 1/4" chamfer printed variation is 0.005"

Key Largo.plan

I have built kitchens with planked doors like that.  Tongue and groove v-joint boards and battened rear sides.  I have also bought fronts from doormakers that mill the grooves into solid-stave glue-ups.  I prefer the jointed boards look.

Depending on door width, the panel either gets a board at centerline or a joint at centerline.  This means the stretch is at the edge planks.  Looks as if one could do any job nicely making just six or eight doors, half of them center-plank, half groove at center.

Cabinet width would determine which door to use.

Hi Mark and Gene,

The other solution I can think of is to import the fixture door into Sketchup as a collada object and then modify it in Sketchup.

After that then import back into Chief architect.  I will give it a go and keep you guys posted.

Thanks,

Eric