BASE CABINET HELP!

interiorarch

Hello.

Please see attached screenshot for reference.  

I am currently trying to build a base cabinet unit in one of my clients bathrooms. Another designer I work with designed this idea in SketchUp.

I have experience building regular base cabinets, but have never built one where areas of the same cabinet fall back & pull out.  

In the screenshot my other designer informed me that the 4" legs are actually where the front of the base cabinets face frame would be. However, the actual base cabinets recess 3 1/4" and the top drawer is 1/4" back from the front of the column/legs.  

Would you recommend building separate areas of this entire cabinetry unit (custom countertops, individual legs, top drawer cabinet, bottom base cabinets). Or is there a way to do this much faster in Base Cabinet Specifications using just one overall cabinet. 

Hopefuly this make sense and please let me know if you have any other questions.

TGIF!

playroom_bath_summer_17.jpg

Same way I'd have it built. Since going wall to wall sides need to allow for scribe so would be loose pieces.

Drawer would depend on who I had making it- with some I'd have them combined ahead, others shipped as two parts and make provision for simple field joining.

In any case I'd make them as separate pieces in Chief.

screen 006.png

• Upvote 1

Hi @MarkMc

First off, thank you so much for being one of the first to provide user-friendly help fairly quickly every time I have a question.  

I have attached another screenshot.  I am curious what you used to create that area between the cabinets and interior wall (outlined in blue).  Also if your entire unit is 42" with 4" legs on both sides, what is the size & depth of that lower cabinet  door section compared to the upper drawer section.

Thank You!

base_cabinets.png

All of the parts pictured are cabinets. To make the side panels change configuration of the side and the back of a cabinet. After you make one, copy it and reflect it about itself for the second one. (I likely set construction as framed, using 0 separation and 0 reveal.

Might be a good idea to take a look at the reference manual section on cabinets, maybe some Chief videos...and then just dive in and see what each element of cabinet configuration does. There really is no substitute. A little knowledge of cabinet construction helps too.

19 minutes ago, interiorarch said:

what is the size & depth of that lower cabinet  door section compared to the upper drawer section.

The width of the drawer is the same as the width of the cabinet, just as you have drawn??

Depth would be based on what you specified after making allowance for overlay compared with inset. (depends on how you make the parts)

• Upvote 1

@MarkMc Is there any way you could just provide that Chief Architect file to this conversation.   It might just be easier for me to see whats going on in the actual program.

I have read the manual and watched videos.  The work we do is usually much more custom and advance then what their basic chapters show us. 

8 minutes ago, interiorarch said:

@MarkMc Is there any way you could just provide that Chief Architect file to this conversation.   It might just be easier for me to see whats going on in the actual program.

I have read the manual and watched videos.  The work we do is usually much more custom and advance then what their basic chapters show us. 

Heading home and did not save the file, just dropped some stuff into a plan I was working on then deleted it.

What I show is pretty basic, no custom symbols or weird hacks ... just takes seeing what the configurations do. If you're going to be doing "custom" you at least need to know that much and the only way is to dig in and see.

Advanced stuff -custom door symbols for odd parts, inserting parts into cabinet backs or sides, for that I've posted some plans in the tips section but just the plan. You have to open the cabinet DBX to get an idea of how they work- none of that is needed here though.

• Upvote 1