Ray trace computer crash

rtedesignllc

Okay I was having problems with Ray tracing in X-8 my Computer would crash in less than 3 minutes doing a simple ray trace... Literally shutting off my computer......Black screen with the message do you want to start your computer normally... I press enter and start all over...
S o I Upgraded to X-9 I am running Windows 7 Pro with an AMD-FX 8350 8 core Processor 4.0G ram 8.00 GB Graphics AMD Radeon R-9 200 series... Still happens ...So what could be my problem? It only happens ray tracing and on a quick setting to boot..I then used a very simple model square room and it still crashes...My thought is to uninstall and then  reinstall chief 9 I had upgraded from 8 to try and solve it to no avail...

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Is it possible that your CPU is overheating. When running a Raytrace it will max out all of your cores. You can monitor your CPU with CUPID CPU-Z to see if the temps are getting too high. You could also reduce the number of cores in CA "Edit/Preferences/Ray trace", maybe drop it to half and see what happens.

I've had this happen in the past.  It was an overheating problem just like Graham is suggesting.  I opened up my machine and cleaned all the dust out and the problem went away.  Ever since then I've made a habit of cleaning my machine out fairly regularly. 

Graham is giving good advice here, as I had a similar issue and fixed it the way he is saying.  My newest system has a GREAT cooling package and I am able to render with all my cores active now - but my last computer not so much.

AMD chips run much hotter than Intel - its one of their characteristics.  You may want to add a water-cooling system to your chipset.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/67008-28-cpus-generally-hotter-intel

This is what your processor looks like when rendering:

I had been having very annoying computer crashing and mainly freezing problems for the last couple of months - they were random and inexplicable..

I just couldn't track down the problem.

I tried all the usual things like cleaning, reseating the ram and graphics card etc.

I then thought it may be an overheating problem, but all the fans seemed to be working properly and there didn't seem to be any dust problems.

I then removed the cpu fan, cleaned off what was left of the thermal paste (it was sparse and patchy) and applied new paste.

I did this about a week ago and haven't had a freeze or crash since - the computer is running like a dream.

I can only assume the problems were caused by an overheating cpu caused by the old thermal paste.

I have since done some googling and there is plenty of anecdotal evidence that thermal paste can dry up and deteriorate, causing problems.

When the computer shuts down as described it's usually overheating or an overload on the power supply.

Systems are designed to shut off due to overheat or low voltage to protect the system components. 

I agree with the other advice here in that I would suspect overheat more than overload. However, a large power draw by the CPU might put a weak power supply over the edge.