Auto Scrolling while drawing

wcaverly

Anyone know how I can set CA to auto scroll when I'm drawing items? Example. When I'm drawing an outside wall, if my mouse goes out of the drawing box nothing happens. In Corel Designer (which I use a lot) the window would scroll with me.

• Upvote 1

I have asked for this since I started using Chief.  You will be told to use the arrow keys but, as you know, this is not anywhere near what is needed.  Post in the suggestion forum and I will add a comment again but it seems to be low on the list.  Every program I use has auto scroll except for Chief!

• Upvote 2

No way to auto scroll in Chief but here's what I personally think is the next best thing...

1. Click once as usual to start your operation (draw, move, resize, etc.).  This can be using any mouse button as necessary.
  2. Drag your item outside the drawing window and without letting go of your original mouse button, click once on one of your unused mouse buttons.
  3. Let go out of your original mouse button.  You can now return to the drawing area and pan and zoom as usual.  Just click again to finish the operation. 

NOTE:  During step 2 it is best to click once using either your center mouse wheel or your left mouse button.  If you use your right mouse button and you aren't completely outside Chief's window you may get a little popup menu.  If you DO get the menu just move your mouse outside the menu box but still outside the drawing area and left click to get rid of it.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

No way to auto scroll in Chief but here's what I personally think is the next best thing...

That is very interesting behavior. AFAIK it's undocumented. How did you discover it?

For most situations you can use shortcuts for the zoom and pan tools when you need to change the drawing area while editing.

I have the following 2 key shortcuts:

PA Pan

ZA Zoom All (fill window)

ZI Zoom In

ZO Zoom Out

ZP Zoom Previous (undo zoom)

So if I am drawing a line that I have started in the drawing window and I want to draw it to finish outside the present drawing window, I drag the line past the end of the screen and whilst still holding down the mouse button, I do a PA shortcut (Pan).

This allows me to pan the window and then go back to placing the end point of the line.

This also works for the other zoom commands.

But yes, an auto scroll would be much easier

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 6:26 AM, wcaverly said:

Anyone know how I can set CA to auto scroll when I'm drawing items? Example. When I'm drawing an outside wall, if my mouse goes out of the drawing box nothing happens. In Corel Designer (which I use a lot) the window would scroll with me.

Actually, we had something close this feature years ago; it went away when the folks at chief developed the apple version.   I really miss this ability, I still find myself trying to scroll with my second mouse as I move to another window to this day.