so he want the ceiling height over the bedroom,

bathroom, closet and hall to be 8'-0" high. Over

the living room and kitchen he want the ceiling

to be 10'-0". The interior wall should stop at the

ceiling planes but they continue up to 12'-0",

the same as the outside walls. Also when I

frame the ceiling the joists are placed at 12'-0"

high. How do I get the ceiling joist to frame at

the ceiling plane heights, 10'-0" and 8'-0" ?

And how do I get the interior walls to stop at

the ceiling planes ?

Section.bmp

Mike I always forget what version you are running, you should take the time to put at least that in your signature.

If I am guessing correctly what you are after you will need to place some 8 and 10' manual ceiling planes into a 12' room being careful what layer you snap to so that it frames properly.  Use the ceiling planes to frame the ceiling joists.

I'm on X-9. Sorry about the quality of the screen shoot I sent. I have attached the plan file this time.

Chopsaw, you are correct. The client wants 12' high exterior walls and ceilings over the bedroom,

bathroom, laundry and hall to be 8' ceiling. He wants the living room and kitchen ceilings to be 10' high.

He is trying to get attic storage. The City of Thousand Oaks has a height restriction of 15' for accessory

buildings.

I did manually make the ceiling planes at 8' and 10' high before framing. After framing the ceiling planes

disappeared and the ceiling joist were placed at the exterior wall heights. I also want the interior walls

to frame up to the ceiling heights of 8' and 10'.

How do I get the ceiling joists to frame at a different height than the exterior wall height ?

Thanks,

Mike

Accessory Living Quarters-3.plan

Thanks Robert. I'm confused. When you changed the ceiling heights to 8' and 10' then removed the air gap under

ceiling structure everything framed correctly. But the 12' high exterior wall heights were not changed, which is what

I want. My question is where is the program getting the 12' high exterior walls heights from ?

How would you setup a project were the exterior walls were 12' high and the ceiling height in half of the building

were 8' high and the other half was 10' high ?

Thanks,

Mike

26 minutes ago, capitaldesigns said:

Thanks Robert. I'm confused. When you changed the ceiling heights to 8' and 10' then removed the air gap under

ceiling structure everything framed correctly. But the 12' high exterior wall heights were not changed, which is what

I want

Just raise the Baseline height of the roof planes to give you the exterior plate height that you want.

2section.thumb.PNG.843c725d7fe189e1f5fc301aafb2c91e.PNG

1 hour ago, rlackore said:

Just raise the Baseline height of the roof planes to give you the exterior plate height that you want.

2section.thumb.PNG.843c725d7fe189e1f5fc301aafb2c91e.PNG

Mike, with Robert's example, what are you going to tie the bottom of your rafters with to prevent them from spreading at the plate height? Trusses, maybe scissors design, would work but I'm not sure stick framing the roof would be structurally sound like Robert's example. Maybe one of the structural guys will chime in and give an opinion.

edit: A structural ridge would take care of the issue though.

Edited by Ridge_Runner
additional thought

I will need to add a ridge beam since the client wants as much attic space as possible.

The city the project is in limits the size of the accessory living quarters to 600 s.f. and

a height limit of 15'-0".  He plans on living in this and renting out the main house.

Thanks,

Mike

17 minutes ago, Ridge_Runner said:

Mike, with Robert's example, what are you going to tie the bottom of your rafters with to prevent them from spreading at the plate height? Trusses, maybe scissors design, would work but I'm not sure stick framing the roof would be structurally sound like Robert's example. Maybe one of the structural guys will chime in and give an opinion.

edit: A structural ridge would take care of the issue though.

To be clear, I wasn't providing an example of how to frame the structure - I was simply providing a method to achieve the desired 12' exterior wall plate height and 8' & 10' interior ceiling heights. That said, attic trusses would be quick and economical. Scissors are not an option at the 8' ceilings, since the client wants attic storage. Otherwise, as you mentioned, a ridge beam would also work.

1 minute ago, rlackore said:

To be clear, I wasn't providing an example of how to frame the structure

I understand and always appreciate you input, Robert. :) Just trying to help the OP before maybe going too far only to find out it might not work from a framing standpoint.

Mike, Don't worry. I know you were being helpful. I'm not a newbie to designing structures.

I have been in business since 1983.  

Since 1993 I have been using AutoCAD. I have been slowly switching over to CA. CA

does things different than AutoCAD. That's been a big re-learning curve. I'm getting

there little by little. I still use AutoCAD on most of my projects. I can see that CA will

be faster once I become more experienced using CA.

It wasn't for you guys in Chief Talk helping others out I would have given up on CA

a long time ago.

Thanks,

Mike  

• Upvote 1

Thanks Glenn. Sorry about taking so long to reply. My email was screwed up until this morning. Spectrum  had some problem and I could not

send or receive emails until this morning.

I do not know how you framed the roof and ceiling joists. It was suggested that I show all rooms at the lowest room height first. Then add the ceiling and roof planes

at that lower height. Then move the roof planes up to the height I want the exterior walls to be at. Then go into each of the  other rooms and change their room

heights to the desired heights. Then frame the walls, roof and ceilings. This worked. The exterior walls were framed at 12' high. Living room ceiling framing framed

at 10' high and the bedroom ceiling framed at 8' high. Is that how you did your framing ?

Thanks,

Mike