ELECTRICAL LOSING CONNECTIONS

mtldesigns

This might need to be sent to CA for a bug...

As you can see, the "B4" picture, my switches have correctly changes to a 3-way where needed.  This view is from the construction docs I've created.  Now when I open this same plan again to make some customer mods (see the "lost" pict.), all the 3-ways are no longer that way.  Yes, the box is still checked to automatically change switch types when wiring.  I basically have to touch all the connections again to get it back to the 3-way.  And this is with the complete plan, major time killer.  Any ideas on why this is happening?

ELECTRCIAL CONNECTIONS LOST.PNG

ELECTRCIAL CONNECTIONS B4.PNG

My views are often unpopular here. Any software will be found to be rather less than perfect. To obtain perfection requires End User intent and action. I agree that the electrical tools in Chief are not perfect in action but I also will say that electrical plans can be made that are perfect in every way. You just do what is necessary to achieve desired results. Placing this responsibility at the door of software, I believe is just a little irresponsible because goo electrical plans can and are created all the time using tools as they are. A lack of perfection is annoying when it occurs but you just persevere until you have what is acceptable to you is what I am saying.

DJP

• Downvote 1

12 hours ago, mtldesigns said:

This might need to be sent to CA for a bug...

Yes there was an in depth discussion on the forum a few months ago and then I saw in the update notes that it was fixed but obviously there is still something wrong so if it is reproducible then I am sure tech would love to know about it because it would be better if this sort of thing did not happen all the time.  Things should not change by saving the plan and reopening it.  Just did a quickie test plan but could not reproduce.  Could you record or describe in more detail your procedure. It may have something to do with the snap points of the 3 way cad block vs. the standard one.

14 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Yes there was an in depth discussion on the forum a few months ago and then I saw in the update notes that it was fixed but obviously there is still something wrong so if it is reproducible then I am sure tech would love to know about it because it would be better if this sort of thing did not happen all the time.  Things should not change by saving the plan and reopening it.  Just did a quickie test plan but could not reproduce.  Could you record or describe in more detail your procedure. It may have something to do with the snap points of the 3 way cad block vs. the standard one.

I am still seeing electrical connections disconnecting....  or user error......  not sure.....  can't quite put my finger on it......

• Upvote 1

Scott, I am in a similar state of mind in that I find the current state of electrical connections annoying and vexing but I also continue to assert that end user intervention and intent to succeed can overcome that tool's weakness (I do what I have to do when creating electrical plans).

DJP

2 hours ago, DavidJPotter said:

Scott, I am in a similar state of mind in that I find the current state of electrical connections annoying and vexing but I also continue to assert that end user intervention and intent to succeed can overcome that tool's weakness (I do what I have to do when creating electrical plans).

DJP

David,

Agree, and don't agree.  The lost electrical connections is and has been an ongoing problem.  I do a lot of production work that I rework completed plans where wire arcs connect to themselves ignoring the fixtures they are connected to, I move a switch expecting an arc to go with it only to watch the arc stay behind, and then not be able to convert back to a 3 way because the connection is lost on the other end (switch).  I won't even discuss the esthetically displeasing, annoying high amplitude arcs that have to be person handled at virtually every connection. (well maybe a little mention)

Even knowing how to wire right to left or vice versa, brings no solace when doing electrical work.  This is in my opinion is a software problem through & through, and frankly I have been patient for well over 10 years. I would love to see a rework on the electrical side - tool and functionality wise.

2 hours ago, Kelly_K said:

Even knowing how to wire right to left or vice versa, brings no solace when doing electrical work

I finally mastered this one, but the "high amplitude arcs" has always bugged me; have to adjust every one of them manually. I sure wish there was a default setting where we could limit that, especially on short connections - (think switch to outside porch light or switch to vanity light in small bath).

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Ridge_Runner said:

I finally mastered this one, but the "high amplitude arcs" has always bugged me; have to adjust every one of them manually. I sure wish there was a default setting where we could limit that, especially on short connections - (think switch to outside porch light or switch to vanity light in small bath).

Yes,  a nuisance. Putting in electrical connections shoiuld be a 3 click process....  beginning,   end and then in the middle TO CONTROL AMPLITUDE.

Thanks for bringing this up again.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dshall said:

Yes,  a nuisance. Putting in electrical connections shoiuld be a 3 click process....  beginning,   end and then in the middle TO CONTROL AMPLITUDE.

Thanks for bringing this up again.

Add spline to what you just said, and then you have my annual/biannual recommendation in suggestions.

Hey all..

Hadn't been on the forum since my post.  I guess I've been called a dumb a$$ kinda..?  I understand user error, I know it when I see it, I have made my share of them, as we all have.  This was not one of those moments.  As I mentioned originally, I created a construction package with one layout sheet being electrical.  My attachment showed completed circuits with all the the 3-ways attached,  Model saved, printed doc shows the correct labels.  When I open the model again, ALL the 3-ways are detached.  User error would have been one or two, obviously.  BUT the whole plan, every 3-way disconnected???  I did have to grab each grip and reconnect to get the correct label.  I could not duplicate either, so..??   My original post was more of a curiosity if anyone else had seen this.  I have fixed and moved on.. 

Add the electrical does need an overall, as all the ideas and previous post have mentioned.  It wold also be nice to be able to turn lights on and off in 3D via the switch too, instead of picking each light for a RT.     

Thanks all.. even for the constructive criticism.  :-)  learning from the best.

• 3 months later...

I have just had this happen on a plan I am completing.  All of the electrical was correct and sent to layout.  I saved the plan and layout then opened this morning to find all of my automatic 3 way switches had disconnected.  If I pull the connection away from the switch the 3 way reappears.  I have send a message into support but was wondering if anyone else has seen this lately.

9 hours ago, country said:

I have just had this happen on a plan I am completing.  All of the electrical was correct and sent to layout.  I saved the plan and layout then opened this morning to find all of my automatic 3 way switches had disconnected.  If I pull the connection away from the switch the 3 way reappears.  I have send a message into support but was wondering if anyone else has seen this lately.

I have lived with this for years, on my production drawings (plans that are constantly being reworked for new lots), as I have formally stated. 

Thanks for bringing it up.  I think I will submit a plan to tech support to remind them. 

On 11/6/2017 at 6:47 PM, Kelly_K said:

I have lived with this for years, on my production drawings (plans that are constantly being reworked for new lots), as I have formally stated. 

Thanks for bringing it up.  I think I will submit a plan to tech support to remind them. 

I was wondering if this happens if you lock the Electrical, and Electrical Connections layers when your plan is finished and sent to layout.

Will a locked layer change on you, on it's own ?

On 7/17/2017 at 1:11 PM, Ridge_Runner said:

With electrical connections drawn and left as generated, a cad line (red) drawn between the switch and fixture, and the distance measured from mid line to mid arc, with a point to point dimension, you can see they are all almost the same.

If they can program that in, could not they program them to be something like, never more that 1/3 switch to fixture length ?

I am clueless when it comes to writing code, but that be a time saver.

Electrical Connection Arcs.jpg

58 minutes ago, mcrump said:

Set your active layer to wire and dashed lines then use the arc command.  3 clicks.

If I have to reverse very many more plans I may revert to this method. Like others have said, if you reverse or use "edit area" the electrical goes crazy - at least with me. If yours works just fine using these commands that's great. But don't berate me for probably "doing it wrong." I would appreciate you sharing your secret as would others I'm sure. 3-way switches seem to be some of the worst - not sure why. I also hate the way the "snaps" for the OOB electrical connections appear. When the snap is highlighted and I click on it the connection should go there; mine usually doesn't. It appears it just stops wherever the cursor happens to be located, almost as if the snap point is just a "guide" but doesn't work very well. I can't tell you how many times I have manually moved the connections into the correct position. Some, of course, work; others not so good. My rant for the day. Chief, I mostly love your product and have used it for years (since 1997). These little things drive some of us crazy though.

22 hours ago, mcrump said:

Set your active layer to wire and dashed lines then use the arc command.  3 clicks.

This method has been suggested many times in the past and is certainly an adequate work around, but at best it is a capitulation to the lack of finesse we should be getting with the electrical tools; that include auto switch change from single, to threeway, or fourway.  For me, this functionality is paramount and therefore I refuse to cave.