Columns & Beams?

xterix

Did you upgrade, X?  We're here to help, but if you're not using Chief, you're on the wrong forum.

if you can use the beam tool, you certainly can create a signature line so we know what you operate, and your system environment.

I often make custom columns from a combination of cabinets, slabs, poly-line solids and 3D molding poly lines, so the tools are there already just not specialized as a "Column tool" per se. What version of Chief Architect Premier are you using please?

DJP

10 hours ago, glennw said:

Johnny,

What would a column tool do?

Hey Glenn - It would do a few things that would be helpful such as apply layers of finishes like we do for walls/roofs etc.  Imagine if you had a block column but wanted to have it with stucco finish, you could have the layers needed to show properly.  Also, would be great if once you made a connection between a column and beam you had the option to keep that connection true if the beam is changed in elevation.  Giving us the option for its base (foundation/footing) would also be very nice.

Things like that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xterix said:

Beams and columns, similar to Revit, Archicad, Vectorworks...

software for architecture= walls, floors, ceiling, windows, doors....columns, beams.

Maybe X10 version?

This specific request should be made in "Suggestions" along with a specific description of how this tool would work if deployed.

Glenn Woodward is in my opinion one of the most competent Chief Premier users I know of, so if he does not know what you are talking about then it your responsibility to make clear why such a tool is necessary and what it does. Most of us here just use Chief Premier and are unfamiliar with Revit, Archicad and how such other programs work. I am blissfully ignorant myself though I am open to positive change.

DJP

• 2 years later...

I thought Johnny was pretty clear with his suggestion with what a column tool should do. I am new but it would make sense to me to use the wall tool to make a stucco column and maybe the room type inside it should have an option to be a column.Then it would have the 2x4s, osb, house wrap,and the foundation. The problem I have is that it doesn't connect to the roof correctly I'm just a knuckle head though, I suppose I should just make it with a polyline solid and describe in a CAD detail. 

I don't mind using the POST tool for COLUMNS.  You can specify the shape and use whatever material you want.  However, I would like to have "Bases" and "Caps" - especially for Steel Tubes, Steel Pipes & Steel-I (WF) - but also for wood Posts.   It would be great if we could just select appropriate Caps and Bases and have the software automatically place them.

Actually, if that tool was renamed "POST/COLUMN" it would be more obvious.

BTW, does anyone actually specify a Steel-I Beam or Column?  I've always used Steel-WF (Wide Flange) as they are structurally superior in almost every case.  I-Beams are good for certain things such as tracks for Chain Hoists, etc but are seldom used for structural framing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Brad-Brad said:

I am new but it would make sense to me to use the wall tool to make a stucco column and maybe the room type inside it should have an option to be a column.Then it would have the 2x4s, osb, house wrap,and the foundation. The problem I have is that it doesn't connect to the roof correctly

This method actually works quite well. Where ever you have such a column it's usually part of a porch 'room' which is usually formed with railing walls or invisible walls and those will define how the roof connects/sits.  You can give the mini-room inside the column different heights to adjust the column height as needed.  You can use pony walls and wall cap to create lots of different looks.  It would be nice if we could lock the walls so 1-click could select all 4 walls of the column.  Turning it into a symbol can work in that regard but with some flexibility loss.

• Like 1