Adding A Detached Garage

I am a novice CA user. Last time I use it was at least few years ago in remodeling an old 2-story house. Now I am trying to add a 2-story detached garage addition to that old plan. I have built the foundation and walls for the garage's first floor. But when I try to add the 2nd floor to the garage, it always adds another floor to the existing house. I don't want any change to the existing house, just the garage only but I can't figure out how to do it. Is there any way that I can 'lock' the existing house floor plan so any change will only affect the garage?

Pretty simple.  Just delete the perimeter walls that Chief created for the new floor of the existing house.  You will still have the "Floor", but the Roof will be where it was.  It works the same way if you have a 2 story house and a 1 story detached garage or guest house.

I don't understand. When you say you already have a 2 storey house, and you are adding a 2 storey detached garage, you should be able just to draw walls at the second level above the garage. You don't need to build another floor.

Frank.

Since you already had the 2nd story on your house, what you should have done, when building the 2nd floor for your garage, is just go to floor 2 and draw your walls manually (i.e., "make new blank plan for 2nd floor").  If your 2nd story garage walls will match those on floor 1, just turn on Reference Floor Display and draw your walls over the floor 1 walls.  If you get their location close, they may snap in place as needed.  If you are a little off just drag them over ... hopefully they will snap into position ... if not, use the "Align With Wall Below" tool in the edit tool bar - then, if you are about 1/2 way overlapping, the 2nd floor wall(s) should now snap into position.

If your 2nd story walls for your garage don't align with all the 1st story walls, then just put them where they need to go and/or use the dimensions tools to get them precisely where they go.

If you are having trouble understanding Joe's advice, just go to your last saved file before you added the 2nd floor and try my approach above.  Either way works providing you understand the basics of adding a new floor.

X6 allows you to copy walls.

If your first floor garage walls are in the same place between floors and the second floor level already exists simply select the first floor garage walls, copy with ctl-c and move up to the second floor. Press ctl-alt-v and your second floor walls are put in place directly over the first floor walls, Tested with the keyboard commands (windows 7), should also work with the program's mouse commands.

And no you don't have to use ctl-alt-c to copy in-place, just ctl-c. Always use ctl-alt-v when you place your selection 'in-place'.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Along the same lines as the above post on adding a detached garage to a structure.

I am a novice learning the software and have been trying to figure out a way to generate a single story detached garage on an existing lot where I have already built a 2 story home. Generating the home and its roof itself took me a long-time to complete however the roof on the garage is really testing my introductory skills. I read multiple forums and watched a number of youtube videos but I admit that after a few days of serious trying, I just can't figure this out myself. It seems each time I try to create the garage, its foundation or roof, the software (based on my lack of knowledge of it) entirely re-arranges the housing structure. I can rather easily build the desired "new garage" from a new file but copying and pasting that into the file that has the existing structure has also proven just as arduous to me to correctly perform.

Version: Chief X8 Premier

What I want to do: Create a ~15' high single story garage with a simple gable roof without impacting the existing structure at the end of my driveway on the developed parcel.

I have attached my plan per some of the forum instructions. If there is anything I need to supply please let me know.

Any and all help is highly appreciated.

Thanks -

MC

Smith_NewFloorPlan8.1.plan

Because all of my detached garages are a seperate permit, I do a seperate plan. You can then copy it, create a symbol and put that with the existing house for a visual and the site plan. Very simple and easy for the permit drawing.

If this is the best way to do this, then I can create the garage with a separate file and 'copy and paste' it into the existing file (where it would fit on the parcel). The issue I am having is not in 'copying and pasting the garage' into the file but 'coping and pasting' the garage so it shows up with the correct height, floor, roofing, and foundation, and other dimensions in line with the lot, so that it looks normal on the lot.

The garage floor base is lower than the house floor base and after doing what you are suggesting, I have found that the garage I 'copy and pasted' (note I have attempted the copy to the 1st floor and the basement floor of the existing structure multiple times) had a second floor created somehow, so the garage looks more like a 1.75 story garage vs. 1.0 story garage, given the desired garage roof pitch is 6:12. I have spent countless hours attempting to modify the stem wall heights and cannot get this figured out.

Sorry if this sounds confusing, however I have not better way to articulate the challenge.

MC

I do not copy and paste the actual garage plan. I make a copy of the garage plan and then turn the garage into a "symbol". You can then place that symbol anywhere on your site with the house. If the site is properly drawn for the house you simply adjust a level area for the garage and move it on the z axis to the exact height.

I find this works real easy for me on city lots that require a separate permit. The entire garage plan is a seperate plan & layout.

I know how to add the garage to the actual house plan but I find this works so much easier that it has become my go-to method.

• Upvote 1

Great help. Thank you both.

@country - I did it your way and figured it out..was a bit tricky to figure the symbol aspect out and didn't like how I couldn't modify the symbol much after I had pasted it into the existing structure file, but it all worked out.

@BrownTiger - thanks for your time in doing this. I am not quite sure how you did it without impacting the roof lines of the existing house/structure. You did well.

Final result is attached...

Smith_NewFloorPlan8.2.plan

MC: 

I use separate plans and create symbols to place in the master plan

yes, if a change is needed the symbol needs to be created again and placed again

for me, this avoids the hassle of impacting the other buildings foundations, roofs, terrain etc

it would be nice if Chief used X-Ref feature where changes in the garage plan

would auto-magically be updated in the master plan - but no joy there yet ...

Lew

• Upvote 1

@BrownTiger - thanks for your time in doing this. I am not quite sure how you did it without impacting the roof lines of the existing house/structure. You did well.

I discovered reference point on the terrain -36" on the terrain [should have created terrain hole], place a slab, convert into foundation, placed a walls aligned walls with the foundation, fixed walls to align with foundation, roofed it with the custom planes.

I like to build models of crazy houses from Houzz, garage is not a issue. 

• Upvote 1

@BrownTiger Okay, I am trying to follow your steps and sort of got lost at 'covert slab to foundation'. I am going to try to replicate what you are suggesting so I learn this approach, as it is much more preferable to me than creating and inserting symbols.

Thanks again for any guidance.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

@ Solver: What is the the best method to build the garage on the lot that has an existing 2 story structure without importing it as a symbol ?

Thanks in advance for any answer you have.

Build the garage and define the floor level relative to the house. It's that easy.