Bathroom Vanity with open shelves on all four sides

Hz12345611

Hi-

I am new to Chief Architect.  I was hoping someone can point me in the right direction. 

I need to draw a bathroom vanity 48 inches with one drawer 18 inches deep and one shelf below it about 7 inches off the floor. It needs to have four square legs that go from the floor to the countertop.

I can figure out how to do the 18 inch tall cabinet and make it with sides but they aren't open.  If I just do the cabinet with legs it doesn't have the thick legs going all the way to the countertop.

Many many MANY ways to accomplish this by using any number of various objects to create the parts and pieces some of which were mentioned above.  There are ways to do this with a single cabinet too though.  I'm not at my computer to post an example but here's the gist of one way...

You'll need to first create a cabinet with a Custom Face on all 4 sides using any combination of panels, openings, blank areas, drawers, doors, etc. in order to create pretty much everything except the legs and that raised edge profile on the bottom shelf in your example.  Take note of your toe kick height but just leave the toe kick in place for now. 

Next you'll need to create the tall legs.  To do this, pick one of the cabinet feet from the library and drop it into a blank plan.  Set the height to exactly match the height of your cabinet box (height minus countertop).  Now take a 3D view, Convert To Symbol, add to your library as Millwork, and using the advanced options, change the bounding box height to the height of your toe kick.  

Now you can open your cabinet back up and add your newly created feet.  Set the width and offsets to your liking.  You'll probably find that you're going to have a minimum/maximum offset that will work due to the fact you'll need the legs to cover the automatically created corner cabinet framework.  

Lastly, add the raised shelf molding by adding it to the cabinet in the molding tab.  Just use the plain rectangular base molding, change the dimensions as necessary, and set all the appropriate offsets.  

A few additional notes:

-Now that you know all the steps you may find it easier to create the legs first and then modify the cabinet afterward.  The order isn't really important.  Just do what works for you.  

-You'll probably want to create a new symbol for the cabinet legs if you decide to change the cabinet height however you can use the same symbol if you decide to change the "toekick" height...just right click on the symbol in your library, open symbol, and change the bounding box height to match your new toe kick height.  

I would personally probably build that unit with tons of pieces just for accuracy, for the added flexibility, and in order to create vector views that have lines correctly drawn at all the various joints  but the single cabinet method has its benefits and I thought it was at least worth mentioning.  

1 hour ago, GeneDavis said:

By "tons of pieces," Michael, are you meaning psolids?

Kinda depends I suppose.  I might use cabinets, shelves, or custom countertops, I might use p-solids, I might use regular solids, I might use moldings, and I might use symbols.  More likely than not it would be some combination of the above.   I'd probably just start with whatever came to mind in the moment, take it from there, and then modify the approach as necessary.