saving files under same name on laptop and ext. backup

aixrrr

i finish a plan, "save as" to desktop, then save a copy to external hard drive.

both same names, same file.

when i go back to the desktop, and unplug the external drive, the desktop file won't show all the files and keeps asking me to plug in ext. drive so it can grab the files.

i must be saving wrong....but i save a whole file under that certain name, then drag to ext. drive and they don't match. hard to explain and i don't feel i have done a good job of it.

10 hours ago, aixrrr said:

then save a copy to external hard drive.

To backup what Bill is asking, what exactly is the process used to save a copy to the external drive?

I would think using 'Save as' from chief, twice would accomplish what you are trying to do, but so would a simple file copy.

Can't be sure without the exact wording of the error you are seeing though.

spent about 1 1/2 hour with apple tech support today....and she told me if i was using icloud to say docs, like plans and layouts, and also saving to external drive, i might run into problems because i am confusing my ext. drive. that sounds nutty to me but maybe true. it is rather confusing as you might expect. so i guess i should just keep saving to icloud and hope it never gets comprised or attacked by a starship hacker system?

12 hours ago, BillMc said:

Sounds as though you are moving the file, rather than copying it. Are you holding down "control" while you select and drag the file to ensure that it is copying?

If they moved the File off the Desktop it would no longer be on the Desktop to Click on to re-open it , but I am curious to know after saving to the desktop , what you are "dragging" it to?  A shortcut to your External drive ? into an Explorer Window , open to the External Drive?

ok I see you are on a Mac now ...so things maybe a bit different...