Help

dcwhite13

Trying to create a rough draft for a client doing a barn to home conversion. The garage in the basement. I'm trying to place a set of stairs in the basement to the main level, under the stairs to the upper level. the problem is every time I create the stairwell opening I lose my ceiling on the main floor. Can anyone help me figure out why? Oxford St.zip 

• Upvote 1

The area shown in pink is being called out as "Open Below". The program is doing what you told it to do. If you want less of an open stairwell you need to put in more walls to define that space. I am seeing the ceiling on the level at the top of the stairs. If you are not seeing a ceiling (or anything) you are probably using a "Floor Camera" instead of a "Full Camera".

pinky.JPG

57 minutes ago, rlackore said:

Just draw a cad box and convert it to a Hole in Floor Platform. This avoids any problems associated with creating an Open Below room.

stairhole.thumb.PNG.eb3ae1f07b75a308b810f32040f78c74.PNG

I never use that feature.....  because I don't think of using it?  

Is there a downside to using the hole?  Come on Racklamore,  there must be a downside.  Have I been creating rooms all this time which sometimes can be a pain?   Do stairs connect to the hole.....  there must be a downside.

• Upvote 2

The horse stall behind the stairs has a shelf ceiling. the first solution I found was I to make the walls full height, which was not what I wanted in the design. not sure why but the problem seemed to be connected to the shelf ceiling. 

1 hour ago, rlackore said:

.... The point of the floor hole is that, for some reason, creating a room around the stair opening removes the first floor ceiling finish..........

Oxford_St modified.plan

I would be interested in seeing a plan with that issue.  I am not sure if I have seen that before.

See pic,  I put hole in floor using rails and open to below and I did not lose the ceiling finish.

59663e3e05bed_ScreenShot2017-07-12at8_19_25AM.thumb.png.0656f5f6d8e23bdd5a036402c24e672e.png

Just now, dshall said:

See pic,  I put hole in floor using rails and open to below and I did not lose the ceiling finish.

59663e3e05bed_ScreenShot2017-07-12at8_19_25AM.thumb.png.0656f5f6d8e23bdd5a036402c24e672e.png

Well, I couldn't make that happen, no matter what I tried. Maybe your Macintosh has the magic mojo. As the OP mentioned, maybe the shelf ceiling has something to do with it. Using the original plan, with an open below room for the stair, I lose the ceiling finish, but it returns after I remove the shelf ceiling.