Best stairwell solution?

Designer1

Does anyone know what the best solution for this design scenario is in Chief?  Here are my three options that I see yet three problems also...

1. Leave the stairs open underneath... issue is then you have to have the cumbersome railing there all the way down to the beginning tread which looks crazy.

2. Keep the stairs closed underneath... but then it cuts through the staircase coming up from the floor below.

3.  Manually draw a wall underneath the staircase going up but then that requires the 4" of wall underneath which impedes the space of the corresponding staircase below coming up. 

In most build situations having the same staircase isnt a problem and you can overlap and create a wall or leave it open.  With this design Im having issues with all the above.  Please let me know if you have any recommendations.

Thanks!

Chad

Stairwell 1.jpg

Stairwell 2.jpg

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the reply.  Ive never posted a plan but thought it might be too big since its near 5,000 square feet, so I deleted everything other then the entry to limit to size of the plan... I wasnt sure if there was a size capacity for uploading.  Thank you!

Stairway.plan

You're going to have to close that area off somehow. It depends on how you're planning on framing the stair and supporting the landing. I would consider a knee wall beneath the stairs to a point where it makes sense to begin the landing railing:

stair.thumb.PNG.a571085438223a2cc9b2e652618ad5f9.PNG

You could also just continue the railing, but I was unsuccessful in modeling that condition in Chief - I couldn't get the newels to behave.

Robert thanks for the reply... I didnt even think about the knee wall...great idea!  Yeah I was having the same reaction with the newels as well but I wasnt even bothering with those much until I figured out what I was doing with the rest.

This plan is old (probably 2008) and is being reworked and updated.  I had problems trying to upload and zip the file thats why I havent uploaded the file.  Thanks so much everyone for the input and ideas despite the plan being so minimal, I appreciate it a lot!