WALL DEFAULTS | WALL TYPES

interiorarch

Hello.  

Attached are several images along with a Chief Architect file to use as reference to my question. 

I am trying to trace a floor plan I received from one of our designers (the CAD, Default layer is outlined in red).  The master plans have already been drawn up in Sketchup.   Please note, we build the same floor plan twice, in both programs due to different functions being provided in both. However, it is important both projects are built to exactly the same dimensions.  

If you look at the first two images you will notice the "Wall Type" I am using for the Exterior Wall is: Siding-4_2.   You will notoice the exterior wall is slightly off (due to possible dry wall or other material I am unable to see).  Can someone please let me know which wall type would let me draw my exterior walls directly flush with that red line.  

Please let me know if this makes sense or if you have any other questions.

Thank You!

EXTERIOR_WALL.png

EXTERIOR_WALL_V2.png

EXTERIOR_WALL_DEFAULTS_WALL_TYPES.png

WALL_TYPES_DEFAULT_TEMPLATE.plan

I am assuming that the wall definition is correct and that you just want to move the walls and not redraw the whole plan.

Alt+Q (General Wall Defaults).

Change Resize About to Inner Surface.

Now when you select a wall the inner surface will be the grip point enabling you to drag the wall over and snap it to your red line.

It may help if you toggle off grid snaps.

• Upvote 1

Depends if your Red CAD line is the Framing line or the Drywall line? , if the drywall line Glenn is correct , use Surface,  if its the Interior side of the Framing then set it to Main Layer Inside instead ...or Main Layer Outside if the RED Cad Line is the Outside of Framing.

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure how you got where you did, but I believe the solution to your problem may lie in your wall type definition...

596153582fe51_Walltype.thumb.png.3b11c5dc07afc2fcd037433d528ff8c1.png

Change that main layer thickness to 3.5" and you should be golden.  As soon as you make the change everything appears to line up perfectly.

On that Corner he pictured yes , the framing was at 3 9/16? but further over in the drawing the walls are not snapped/snapping to the red CAD line and one wall is reversed too (inside out- drawn in the wrong direction?) at the bump out... which is where Glen's advice comes in.. with Alt-Q

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

On that Corner he pictured yes , the framing was at 3 9/16? but further over in the drawing the walls are not snapped/snapping to the red CAD line and one wall is reversed too (inside out- drawn in the wrong direction?) at the bump out... which is where Glen's advise comes in.. with Alt-Q

Sorry, wasn't trying to contradict the other advice.  Only pointing out something that appeared as if though it could have been a large part or source of the problem that may have been overlooked.

2 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Sorry, wasn't trying to contradict the other advice.  Only pointing out something that appeared as if though it could have been a large part or source of the problem that may have been overlooked.

Ohhh...didn't mean it that way actually ...I think you are both right..... I did not catch the 1/16th offset when I looked at... changing that helps clean it up,

I just didn't want the OP to think Glenn wasn't correct too, however I'm uncertain if the wall should go inside the CAD Line or Outside it, hence my advice...

M.

8 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

I just didn't want the OP to think Glenn wasn't correct too, however I'm uncertain if the wall should go inside the CAD Line or Outside it, hence my advice...

Absolutely.  Resize About is an extremely useful and I think oft overlooked productivity setting.