converting a garage into living space

jlcDesign

Hey everyone.  Does anyone have any words of wisdom for how to bend CA to our will regarding adding a floor system above an existing garage slab?  Whether that be hanging a joist system on the wall and supporting with LVLs below, or even ripping sleepers and putting CDX over it?  It's technically two floor systems.  Am I explaining this right?  I know I can do this with poly-lines, and maybe that's the answer.  I figured one of you pointy-heads out there has already figured it out.  Thanks a million!

20 minutes ago, jlcDesign said:

Hey everyone.  Does anyone have any words of wisdom for how to bend CA to our will regarding adding a floor system above an existing garage slab?  Whether that be hanging a joist system on the wall and supporting with LVLs below, or even ripping sleepers and putting CDX over it?  It's technically two floor systems.  Am I explaining this right?  I know I can do this with poly-lines, and maybe that's the answer.  I figured one of you pointy-heads out there has already figured it out.  Thanks a million!

Yes,  the sleepers should be part of THE FLOOR FINISH,  not part of THE STRUCTURE.

adding a floor is asking for trouble,   Sorry Eric,   A non-starter for me.

think about it.....  it is a FINISH.

• Upvote 2

We typically pour a new slab over the existing garage floor slab and level with the house or curb. if it's a raised floor house, then I add new floor joists level with the house and piers for support. for slab floor you could just use the slab tool over the existing also.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

We typically pour a new slab over the existing garage floor slab and level with the house or curb. if it's a raised floor house, then I add new floor joists level with the house and piers for support. for slab floor you could just use the slab tool over the existing also.

Yeah,  that works.  I am working on a house with slab.  2 areas need to be raised,  one by 6" the other by 12".  I chose the sleeper method for this project.  A slab for the 6" dropped area could work.  

Project in Solana Beach.....  dld I ever say how much I hate working in Solana Beach?  I do not think I will ever do another house in Solana Beach.....  

• Upvote 1

In real life we hung joists so that the new floor was even with the house floor

so raised off slab by about 2'

my goal was to have all floors inside the house at the same level

so I could use a wheelchair or powerchair in the future if needed

Lew