As-Builts Plans

alaska

Can some one explain how I can take an existing As-Built Plan somehow place it on a lighter or darker line weight & layer,lock it, then lay a Demo plan (which would be the same as the As-Built Plan unlocked) over top of it so then you can modify the Demo plan?  Than I need to do the same procedure for the Demo plan w/ a "New Construction" plan placed over top it.  Any help would be much appreciated. I know your not Auto-cad professionals but in Auto-cad you can use a reference file (x-refs) as your base plan and put it on any layer and/or line weight you needed and that is basically what I need to do.

Thanks.

Billy

X6

My work flow is this:

Existing/as built plan (this is a unique file to my remodel plan file) -> hide all layers an only expose Walls Main Layer-> Cad detail from view -> select all the lines of the cad detail and change them to line style dashed with line weight of 10 -> assign the lines to the layer "Existing Walls Dashed" (this is a custom layer) -> block the cad lines together and assign that block to the "Existing Walls Dashed" layer -> copy and paste in place into my remodel plan file -> lock the layer "Existing Walls Dashed". Any walls that don't change will read normally. Any walls that do change expose the dashed lines and therefore delineate the removal of an existing wall.

The whole process takes less time to do than the time you just spent reading my post. As long as you read all the way to the end, the end, the, now.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You can do the same process with an elevation view. It will paste right in place.

This is a great comment. We rarely talk about overlaying an existing elevation over a proposed elevation, but it is a nice option.

• 11 months later...

If you are enrolled in the SSA program you will find an instructional video

addressing this procedure. If you cannot find it call tech support. I'm also

including in my response some info about so called "as built" plans. I don't know why so many people

refer to measured drawings as "as builts" when the AIA standard defines them as drawings made after

a project is completed. Let me know your thoughts on the following.

In response to the recent Dalton remodel series from Chief Architect Software:

Your Dalton remodel video mistakenly describes the initial drawings to establish existing floor plan dimensions as

"as builts". These are actually called "measured drawings" drawings that establish the existing dimensions of the building

such as room width and length, ceiling height, floor levels, window and door details and whatever level of detail is required to set the database from which new architectural details and drawings will be established. Drawings labeled as "as builts"

are set after a project is completed as the following AIA definition shows.

AIA definition:

A revised set of drawings submitted by a contractor upon completion of a project or a particular job. They reflect all changes made in the specifications and working drawings during the construction process, and show the exact dimensions, geometry, and location of all elements of the work completed under the contract. Also called record drawings or just as-builts.

Since stamped and approved construction drawings are legal documents it is very important that they be correctly labeled.

Thanks,

Ed Spena boycat909@gmail.com

Chief X7

I don't know why so many people refer to measured drawings as "as builts" when the AIA standard defines them as drawings made after

+1 to that. 

Going from commercial construction into residential remodeling, I am surprised how many seasoned professionals refer to measured drawings as "as builts". Personally, I tend to call them "existings", but, I guess using "as builts" is ok until someone uses that language in a design contract (without agreeing to the definition).

I can easily see a client legitimately requesting "as builts" at the end of a project, having assumed that's what their design agreement had said they would get.

I also use "Existing" to label the plan, and to tell you the truth, sometimes it a big guessing game and I hope I got it correct. I usually tell my clients "Welcome to the remodeling business" when a drain line goes right through a wall you are deleting and no-one saw it.

I don't know why so many people refer to measured drawings as

"as builts" when the AIA standard defines them as drawings made after

Here's my take on this. Is not an "as built" set of drawings

as defined in the AIA standard exactly the same as a set

of "measured" (exitsting) drawings? Since in most cases

owners don't supply us with "as built" drawings of their

houses (drawings of exactly how the house was built or

last remodeled) we often have to go and measure the

structure and prepare such drawings as a starting place.

We are making "measured" (existing) drawings in lieu of

having a set of "as built" drawings to work from. But would

not both sets of plans be the same?

Here's my take on this. Is not an "as built" set of drawings

as defined in the AIA standard exactly the same as a set

of "measured" (exitsting) drawings? Since in most cases

owners don't supply us with "as built" drawings of their

houses (drawings of exactly how the house was built or

last remodeled) we often have to go and measure the

structure and prepare such drawings as a starting place.

We are making "measured" (existing) drawings in lieu of

having a set of "as built" drawings to work from. But would

not both sets of plans be the same?

Here is a good quick read on the subject: http://www.associationofconstructionanddevelopment.org/articles/view.php?article_id=10850

It's almost impossible to draw a correct as built, after the fact, unless you were in on the building of it. I have seen even the original plans were wrong. You just have to get it as close as you can. When the builder tears into it, he will find errors and blame you for not seeing the drain in a wall.

Looks like measured drawings wins the technical argument. I had to read Atari2600 link to get it. 

I just use existing  and proposed labels  on our plans. That gets us through to a building licence.

"These are the proper definitions of as-built, measured and record drawings as per AIA standards. Despite the existence of regulated standards, these terms are misused. As-built drawings are primarily contractor based, record drawings are approved and testified by the architect as per the owner's requirements and measured drawings are based on fresh projects on already standing buildings."

​I will probably continue to use the term 'existing' in conversation because it does not require explaining....measured drawings will confuse people not familiar with architectural drawings. 

​If it found it's way into a contract the definition becomes important. For normal communication "as built" means what is built and for documentation existing and proposed is on the plan set. Not entirely sure how existing and proposed definitions would sit in a contract. Not an issue in Australia as far as I am aware. But them we don't sign up new contract that require a lawyer to be present.

We have to supply an EXISTING drawing and then PROPOSED for all alterations for us to get a building consent (permit). Then if the builder makes any changes during the construction for whatever reason an AS BUILT is required to achieve code compliance. Some authorities will allow minor changes others require an as built if the swing of a door is swapped.

We have to supply an EXISTING drawing and then PROPOSED for all alterations for us to get a building consent (permit). Then if the builder makes any changes during the construction for whatever reason an AS BUILT is required to achieve code compliance. Some authorities will allow minor changes others require an as built if the swing of a door is swapped.

It is the same here , and usually depends on how much you pissed off the Building Inspector :)