Architectural block "identity"?

Larry_Sweeney

I recently built some trusses using p-solids due to "truss envelope problems". When I was building the trusses the p-solids was on a layer call "Framing truss BUILT". Once the truss was finished, I blocked all the p-solids and put it on a layer called "Framing truss TR-7". Later I did a cross section elevation and the truss wasn't there. I went into my layerset to make sure my "Framing truss TR-7" was on, which it was. I was puzzled and was trying different views and going through the layers trying to figure what was going on. I finally realized that not only the "Framing truss TR-7" layer had to be on, but the "Framing truss BUILT" layer also had to be on for the truss to show. Is this odd or what? Has it always been this way? I had a problem earlier where the p-solids I made for the truss was to have a "solid fill & moved to the front" before they were blocked , but once they were blocked they "lost" their original identity and were no longer filled with a solid color. Why in one case you would lose the original identity (solid fill) and in another case the architectural block would keep part of the original identity (original layer)? Just seems it should be "all or nothing". Did I go about "building" this truss and making it a block in the wrong order or what that caused this problem? I know what you're probably saying----Does it really matter! Well, in my mind, I would just like to know.

Before the X6 beta was opened, CA let out some info that Architectural Blocks were undergoing what I understood to be a major facelift. So, I really dug into this subject in order to be up to speed when the beta was released.

What a let down. I was seriouly dissapointed when I saw what little had actually been done to improve this feature, much less fix any existing issues. From what I can tell, there are probably more problems, from a users standpoint, with using Architectural Blocks than there are features.

I for one hear you. But, that makes two of us. I would have to admit that Chief's developers have been very proactive in addressing these types of issues of late. Not so much where it comes to Architectural Blocks IMO.

One thing I might add is that, in the past, I have had issues come up that I thought needed to be looked into only to find out much later that it really was working the way it was intended. It would be nice, if in those instances some type of feedback was provided so we would at least know what was going on.

Architectural blocks could be a very powerful feature with a few tweaks.

Rain has been falling since last night

We need it buddy.  It is suppose to rain from now until 12:00 noon  (our golf game starts at 12:00)  then no rain from noon until the evening  (I can drive home without is raining),  and then the rain will start again this evening and continue thru Sunday.

If you guys ever want to travel and guarantee yourself good weather,  ask me along,  somehow I am always lucky.

In my neck of the woods I would have to set my tee time for next Friday. Just checked.

But, Scott is right, we do need it.

Architectural Blocks could be used for a great many things. That is if they would work the way I would like them to.

The short list would be:

1. Be able to include CAD Blocks

2. Display correctly in plan view within the A B and especially when encountering walls in plan view

3. Provide an automatic way for distinct objects to show without editing materials in 3D views

4. Provide for standard controls over fill and group controls for 2D plan views

5. A wish list item would be for A B to be replaced from library, and actually work (Back to the Future, Ghosted Blocks)