Steel Bent Beams for Metal Buildings

TMA-Tim

If I understand what you are asking for -----

• Create a Molding Profile of the Shape
  • In Cross Section, create a 3D Molding Polyline for the "Bent Path" and assign the Molding Profile
  • Copy that at the appropriate spacing.

But if that's not what you need......

There have been Steel Beams in the library for a couple of year now at least , and new are the Lally Columns from Dean Column.

https://3dlibrary.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?r=site/detail/789

There is also a Tutorial on Barn type structures

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-01069/creating-a-traditional-pole-barn-structure.html

I'm just guessing here but I think the OP is talking about bent beams as in beams used to construct a structural bent (noun) like we do for timberframe structures...kinda like a truss that usually incorporates the wall framing or main support posts as part of the bent structure.  Something like this but built using steel beams...

IMG_4266.thumb.JPG.e322610decd7c2c5e025362f959332c4.JPG

I doubt he is referring to a beam that is bent (adjective). 

Now having said that, I still don't know what kind of symbols these might be.  As I see it those bents would need to be custom built for each individual situation based on the material and beam type as well as the building dimensions and overall design.  I would likely be using molding polylines as Joe suggested, p-solids, solids, some other primitive modeling tool, or a combination thereof.  

4 minutes ago, mrscott said:

Michael,

Kind of off topic but is there a way to cut a 45 on the end of a FLOOR BEAM like is shown in the image below? I can do it Sketchup buthave not figured out how to do it in X9.

Thanks,

595814f0abbc5_AngledFloorBeam.thumb.JPG.914c41548e470071b9fd7b73e74c5d21.JPG

I'm away from my computer so I can't actually test it out right now but I'm honestly not sure whether or not that can be done with an actual beam.  I think it MIGHT be possible.  I do know for certain that you can use a number of other object types to achieve that end result though such as p-solids, solids, standard framing members, extruded faces, molding p-lines, etc.  

Yes, I've modeled a complete Metal Builder superstructure using solids but all manually. I was hoping there was a way to do it with framing materials. 

Thanks for the reply,

Happy 4th to you and your family!

31 minutes ago, mrscott said:

Yes, I've modeled a complete Metal Builder superstructure using solids but all manually. I was hoping there was a way to do it with framing materials. 

Thanks for the reply,

Happy 4th to you and your family!

Thanks Scott :)  

I won't go into it in great detail, but one thing you can use that can be extremely handy is trusses.  You can basically start with any truss configuration and then make

manual edits to the truss detail to achieve all sorts of things.  

P.S.  You can similarly use a wall framing detail to get a few additional capabilities.  Sometimes I'll use a wall framing detail to add framing to surrounding areas.  

Hum! I'll take a look at that approach. If the image was not clear, These "Floor Beams" 4 - 2" x 12"s Double on each side (Stringers" as they are called along to the Coast) sit on notched Posts(aka Pilings). Perpendicular to the the Beams sit are your Floor Joist, 1-1/4" T&G sub floor (4 x 8 sheets) and then you start framing the first floor walls from there. Using the Floor Beams allows me to set the structure for level 0 so when I draw the floor beams manually across the Pilings there elevation is correct.  So, I may be able to accomplish the same this with Trusses if I can make them solid.

Thanks again,

40 minutes ago, mrscott said:

Michael,

Kind of off topic but is there a way to cut a 45 on the end of a FLOOR BEAM like is shown in the image below? I can do it Sketchup buthave not figured out how to do it in X9.

Thanks,

595814f0abbc5_AngledFloorBeam.thumb.JPG.914c41548e470071b9fd7b73e74c5d21.JPG

That's easy.  You just need to use a "Rafter Tail" with that shape.  Chief doesn't have one like that in the Library, but you can make your own.  Just be aware that you can only use Rafter Tails on one end of the Beam or Rafter.

37 minutes ago, mrscott said:

Joe,

Thanks for the feedback. I've never tried to or knew you could add something like a rafter tail to a floor or ceiling beam... have you? I'll take a look and Post a reply when I start up again. 

Yes, I have done it.  In fact, just for fun, I created one like you asked about and added it to a Ridge Beam.

I'm guessing the OP is talking about something like this.

Here is a little project I have been fooling around with in

my spare time. Modeling a structure completely out of

molding polylines as Joe outlined in post #3. Check out

that floor plan and try to guess what the building looks like.

Image1_zpsmc0fqmjo.png

And here is the actual structure under construction.

IMG_2153_zpshvvczl1x.jpg