How Do We Get a Material List for Framing a Remodel

Renerabbitt

I'm new to material listing, is there a way to select certain walls, generate framing for, and get a cut list? I only see material by room or floor. I've done a few searches but can't find this specific scenario.

If by floor, is there an easier way to remove existing walls other then going to the components list, much like the "include in schedule" tick on the window settings?

Looking for the fastest method to get wall and ceiling framing material lists for a couple of rooms on a single floor

20 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Material List Polyline

So here is my confusion, if I list certain walls as "bearing" they don't show up in the poly list and my dimension defaults, i.e only 16' lumber do not apply to non-structural lumber in partition walls.

I want to get materials for about 10 walls on a single floor mixed bearing and partition, with sizes being either 8' or 16', is this feasible and quick..what would be the method?

4 minutes ago, lbuttery said:

Chief doesn't do "cut lists"

use "structural member reporting" tool to choose lumber sizes

Lew

I read one of your posts prior to posting this question in the forum which did point me to the "structural member reporting" so thank you, what I don't understand is where the information in member reporting shows up after you make your specifications...I deleted all but 16' lengths, but then where does this apply to the material lists?

1) I went into structural member reporting, delete all but 16' lengths

2) I created a polyline material list for the section of the house I wanted to include

3) the polyline listed had random lengths such as sill plates etc.

4) i set my exterior bearing walls as "bearing," with the hopes that they would be considered structural members and the 16' delineation would apply. Instead those walls were deleted from the material list

This all leads me to believe that there is a separate list for structural members...and maybe I'm being an idiot(known to happen) but I can't seem to put it all together

I'm new to material listing, is there a way to select certain walls, generate framing for, and get a cut list?

I can see this doesn't apply to your needs, but may be of interest to someone.  This will only do one wall, at a time, and will give you a cut list for that wall, but no joists, etc..  Select the framed wall, open it's Wall Detail and generate a Framing Schedule.

Frame.jpg

• Upvote 5

15 minutes ago, smorris said:

I can see this doesn't apply to your needs, but may be of interest to someone.  This will only do one wall, at a time, and will give you a cut list for that wall, but no joists, etc..  Select the framed wall, open it's Wall Detail and generate a Framing Schedule.

Frame.jpg

Certainly useful, I knew about the framing elevation but didn't realize there was a framing schedule

25 minutes ago, smorris said:

Frame.jpg

Wow.  That's really cool.  Had no idea we could create a schedule like that for an individual detail.  Thanks for the tip!

You can use the Material List column in the Layer Display Options dbx.

If you want some walls included, but not others, place them on different layers and use the "Mat" column to include or exclude them from the material list.

This allows you to create a Layer Set to use with a Material List which only includes the objects you want.  

Chief doesn't do "cut lists"

Chief does do Cut Lists.

In the Structural Reporting Defaults dbx, you can choose between  Linear Length, Cut List, Buy List and Mixed Reporting.

Once you generate a material list, there is a drop down box that allows you to make the same changes.

If you only want 12' and 16' lengths, you need to set those in the SR defaults dbx by creating a Buy List.

When you generate a ML, Chief will use your Buy List to calculate the number of lengths to buy - it will use the actual cut lengths and work out how they get cut from the Buy List lengths.

Setting a wall to bearing will not generate framing - you need to use a framing material to get any framing.

• Upvote 1

Lew,

I am not 100% sure exactly what those programs do.

I don't really want to get into them.

Just from that one page, the fist one looks like it works in cross section which, I believe, no one would expect Chief to do that.

The second one looks like it might do what Chiefs Buy List does.

The Cutting Stock problem requires that we find the best (cheapest) way to cut one-dimensional stock pieces (pipe, dimensional lumber, wire, rolls of paper or other sheet material to be slit, etc.) in such a way that a given number of pieces of specified lengths or widths are created.

Have a look at Buy List below:

Lineal Length calculates the framing materials of the different structural components of the plan in linear feet.

Cut List calculates the framing materials of the different structural components of the plan by counting the individual pieces present in the model.

Buy List calculates the framing materials of the different structural components of the plan by counting individual pieces and matching them to a list of board sizes that you specify.

Mixed Reporting calculates framing materials using a combination of lineal lengths and piece counts and is recommended for saved Materials Lists in legacy plans.

Everything in CA is modeled at the "cut length" so it's pretty easy to get a Cut List output to the Materials List, assuming you don't have total lineal ft as your default in Structural Reporting DBX. I'm not sure what the Default is in the SR DBX as I have changed it in my Template Plan to Buy List.

If you have Buy list as your default (for Ordering Materials or getting Quotes), it only works with the Lengths you have input by rounding off each "cut list item" to the nearest length you have specified ( or CA has) , however the Materials list is not smart enough to add for example  1x16' and and 1x 8' for a 24' long wall for the plates ( or 2x12' etc), if for example like me your max length in the buy list is 16'. In those cases it just outputs the Cut list size anyway, so for those you need to redo it in Excel for yourself if you are exporting the list. Also note For Ordering and Quoting there is no Waste added either by default , so you would only have the short offcuts , nothing for bracing , backing, blocking etc.( unless you modeled those items).

Capture1.JPG

The thing about the Materials List in Chief is that it just measures only what you put into the model and nothing more. The only way I ever got a completely accurate Materials List is by modeling every grade beam, create all framing automatically and then manually edit it all making sure to add all necessary bracing and other structural objects that are not added automatically. All relevant settings that effect materials must be set perfectly otherwise you just get an inaccurate waste of time. I have done this twice in my career. I told the client that to produce an accurate Materials List, I first must work with a Structural Engineer so they can design the foundation and its grade beams and specify all bracing and structural concerns. Armed with that data I then check and triple check that the model reflects that in detail. Only then will you then get an accurate materials list. I also told this client that such a 3D model will cost them a lot more than one used just for construction documents due to the involvement of a Structural Engineer and the additional time and care necessary to make a perfect 3D model. Only under those exact conditions have I ever acquired an accurate materials list and that is why to date, I have only done two such lists. Most of the time I just skip it. When I was working for a remodeling company many years ago when I first started, my boss asked me to pursue and research the Materials List feature and the above is what I found to be true. It has always been quite useful for simple calculations like flooring etc. Most relatively new users simply do not have the skill and understanding of Chief Premier and its tools to create a useful materials list. It can be done, I have done it but it is a rather intense and exacting process.

DJP

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

however the Materials list is not smart enough to add for example  1x16' and and 1x 8' for a 24' long wall for the plates

Mike,

With the correct settings in the SMR dbx, Chief will produce a Buy List that consolidates several smaller lengths into longer lengths that you have specified.

It is a matter of checking Consolidate Unhandled Boards and then setting the correct sizes and/or Priority in the SMR dbx.

This is a very basic example:

Lets just look at the studs - I have just used inches to keep it simple.

The Cut List reports the individual stud pieces as 2"x4" - 104 5/8" x 36 pieces = 3766.5".

59564b341e403_NewImage_201.thumb.jpg.610e981ff23dc375e1c0e8622acb90c1.jpg

The Buy List consolidates the pieces into fixed lengths - in this case it is 2 studs per 220" length x 18 lengths = 3960".

(I set the 220" lengths in the SMR dbx)

59564b32a2ffd_NewImage_200.thumb.jpg.2a19a6bfa71903965b91dfe49ca81943.jpg

The Buy List gives a larger total because there is wastage of 10" after the 2 stud lengths are cut from the 220" long board.

I would think that if there were any 2"x4" short lengths (10" or shorter) in the framing, Chief would cut them out of the 220" long piece.

Lew,

The first one has nothing to do with calculating lengths of timber pieces.

It has to do with optimising the options for extracting various profiles (width and depth) from a stock piece of timber of a given width and depth (in cross section) - length doesn't come into it.

This is something I wouldn't expect a program like Chief to do - although it may be a feature that some users could use if they were milling their own timber.