GLOBAL SYMBOL MAPPING, does anybody understand it?

dshall

20 minutes ago, dshall said:

GLOBAL  SYMBOL MAPPING,   does anybody understand it?

See CA's explanation below.  I do not get it.

5953c064e5dea_ScreenShot2017-06-28at7_42_25AM.thumb.png.70e75713345a77984f25a9076c756045.png

Well, un, yeah, no, ...sort of...

My take is that say origin is set at absolute 0, 0, with global symbol mapping that is the start point for the texture on every object.

I say sort of since I rarely use it unless there is an odd problem with a texture. Then I check it to see if it helps. Not long ago it solved an odd material problem on a fireplace here on the forum. I say sort of since I have no idea how or why that helped.

25 minutes ago, dshall said:

GLOBAL  SYMBOL MAPPING,   does anybody understand it?

See CA's explanation below.  I do not get it.

5953c064e5dea_ScreenShot2017-06-28at7_42_25AM.thumb.png.70e75713345a77984f25a9076c756045.png

Mark is correct, say for instance you want to apply a texture you found on the internet to a tileable wall panel, but their is only a portion of the textures image that you want applied to your panel, so you have to set an offset to center your texture properly on your object...and then you want to save this texture to be used down the road using the same positioning for any object it may be applied to, you could set your parameters and then check global and add to library to be used with the same offsets

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Mark is correct, say for instance you want to apply a texture you found on the internet to a tileable wall panel, but their is only a portion of the textures image that you want applied to your panel, so you have to set an offset to center your texture properly on your object...and then you want to save this texture to be used down the road using the same positioning for any object it may be applied to, you could set your parameters and then check global and add to library to be used with the same offsets

Thanks,  I think that makes sense.  I wonder if anybody has used it that way.

I was hoping I could add the same tile to two different objects that are side by side and then offset the tile on one object without effecting the tile location on the second object.  If I wanted to do what I just described,  I think I would need to copy the material and rename,  thus having 2 materials that were exactly alike except the pattern,  texture,  angle could be unique to each object.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dshall said:

Thanks,  I think that makes sense.  I wonder if anybody has used it that way.

I was hoping I could add the same tile to two different objects that are side by side and then offset the tile on one object without effecting the tile location on the second object.  If I wanted to do what I just described,  I think I would need to copy the material and rename,  thus having 2 materials that were exactly alike except the pattern,  texture,  angle could be unique to each object.

I use that same feature often in my rendering software, and unfortunately chief doesn't have a "make material unique" so that you can build separate coordinate mapping for the same texture. When I was using chief to render I would add all of the wood texture and their corresponding 90 turns to my user catalog for this very reason.

It's interesting to me that the new 3d capabilities of x9 have everyone a buzz about realism in the 3d views...I've been geeking out over this kind of stuff for years, I'm not alone anymore! it's awesome!!

1 hour ago, MarkMc said:

Not long ago it solved an odd material problem on a fireplace here on the forum. I say sort of since I have no idea how or why that helped.

That was my FP symbol.  And it worked awesome.

Totally irrelevant comment here, but I just wanted to chime in on that.

I have used it for many years/versions mainly for realigning glass block and a frame for remodeling purposes and certain tile patterns. Since these are small jobs I have never needed to worry about "Global"  but rather just specific materials on a specific surface.

DJP