General 3D Shapes Defaults (X9)

HamlinBC

Ok, I've looked and can't find where I can change the general 3D shapes settings.

I want to change them so that they default to White rather than concrete.  This includes polyline solids.

Can anyone help me out?

3 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

You can change them after creation.  There is no separate default material for solids.

This is true but we always look for efficiencies on plans.  This was one that popped up.  Something that we do quite a bit and don't think about, but someone was wondering "Why do we have to do that? Can't we just set the default to White, which is what we change it to 99% of the time?"

We started digging into it and came to the conclusion that we don't think there's anywhere to change it.

When we're drawing upwards of 400 plans a year, even a 10 second thing adds up.

1 hour ago, HamlinBC said:

This is true but we always look for efficiencies on plans.

Block them after you change the color and add to library-then rename the blocks. For psolids be sure to make one for plan views and one for elevation. Nice to have a shortcut key for "explode architectural block" also nice to have a default fill that you like..

14 hours ago, MarkMc said:

Block them after you change the color and add to library-then rename the blocks. For psolids be sure to make one for plan views and one for elevation. Nice to have a shortcut key for "explode architectural block" also nice to have a default fill that you like..

Also a good workaround.  This might be the better option, as we would be saving the time from drawing and converting to Solid AND changing the material.

Thanks Mark!

1 hour ago, HamlinBC said:

Also a good workaround.  This might be the better option, as we would be saving the time from drawing and converting to Solid AND changing the material.

Thanks Mark!

Don't know what you're using them for but I'm often using them for some part or symbol.

Some time ago I took to saving every plan I use to make symbols or parts with, well almost all of em.

Recently went through and organized those into sub folders to make them easier to find (almost 2oo in the last year, over 500 total!!) and adapt. Also made a symbol specific template-no room molding, all cabinets set to blank on all sides with 0" separations, and an annoset/ layerset to suit.

For the folders-I use Directory Opus, a tabbed file explorer that allows me to save different tab configurations called "listers" so I saved one with just the folders that I use for symbols.

Symbol lister.png

17 hours ago, HamlinBC said:

This is true but we always look for efficiencies on plans.  This was one that popped up.  Something that we do quite a bit and don't think about, but someone was wondering "Why do we have to do that? Can't we just set the default to White, which is what we change it to 99% of the time?"

We started digging into it and came to the conclusion that we don't think there's anywhere to change it.

When we're drawing upwards of 400 plans a year, even a 10 second thing adds up.

One can also not set the solid fill color of a p-line box to a default of one's choice. It's just like the early Models T's black, black, or black. I fill 95% of my boxes with white but there's also no default for this setting. Asked a million times but some things will never change in Chief. Yes I know we can set up a tool icon and other work arounds for something most people expect to find in a 21st century software program but should we have to? Shouldn't this type of functionality be built in? Just like the OP, I think it should.

Mark,

We use solids for a lot of things (not necessarily pertaining to cabinets).

Probably the most common is exterior details (band boards, gable features, etc.).  So having something saved in the library will help eliminate a lot of the repetitive drawing.

I still don't understand why Solids wouldn't have a "Default Setting" like most everything else.

Probably will submit a suggestion for it still, but this is good conversation.

18 minutes ago, HamlinBC said:

We use solids for a lot of things (not necessarily pertaining to cabinets).

I use them for architectural elements also still easier to have something to start with-general shape, thickness, height off floor or ground...and alter it.

I often convert them to a symbols so I can use replace from library- all identical, or use as a molding symbol (gutter hangers, cornice pieces, newels...) can help with resizing things quickly instead of redrawing the entire thing. I do as few things twice as possible.