Elevation Rendering Technique's, which do you prefer?

Renerabbitt

What's your preference of these two? 

The clarity of the rendering is nice, but it would need to be printed with the right settings. I typically use flat line-drawn images in my plan sets but after looking through the chief architect samples I'm so impressed with their color plan-sets

59505982e14ca_INTERIORELEVATION1.thumb.PNG.1b82fda3461fcae05480bbd1ac4d2d49.PNG

5950591bae342_INTERIORELEVATION2.thumb.PNG.5b2f57b595e76d8dce4dbb987f157e9b.PNG

1 hour ago, johnny said:

The "vector" version is more descriptive and will reproduce much better in print.

I'll try a combination of both tomorrow and post it... on another note, city of Berkeley CA only takes digital uploads now.. no prints 

Technical Illustration is probably my favorite for perspective views sent to layout.  Sometimes I'll use a Water Color with lines on top for the Cover Sheet.

I also include a perspective (Vector or Tech Illustration) for some rooms along with the Interior Elevations - just to provide a better understanding of what the rooms will look like.

• Upvote 1

I can't wait until the cities only accept DIGITAL PRINTS.  Then we have greater flexibility with the format we use.  Because of the printing process,  we cannot use color or the render views which are the formats I prefer.

Color printing for rendering AND PLAN VIEWS will make reviewing the plans so much easier for plan reviewers.

I have a feeling the print companies will have a very tough time staying in business.

I was talking to the Manager of my health club and he told me because of the digital age,  he is USING MORE PAPER.  I think that is because his heirarchy has not adapted to the digital age.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dshall said:

I can't wait until the cities only accept DIGITAL PRINTS.  Then we have greater flexibility with the format we use.  Because of the printing process,  we cannot use color or the render views which are the formats I prefer.

Color printing for rendering AND PLAN VIEWS will make reviewing the plans so much easier for plan reviewers.

I have a feeling the print companies will have a very tough time staying in business.

I was talking to the Manager of my health club and he told me because of the digital age,  he is USING MORE PAPER.  I think that is because his heirarchy has not adapted to the digital age.

completely agreed, it will happen, I love the clarity of a rendering, coming into this industry as a builder it is so easy to distinguish the following image as a board and batten with stem wall foundation and an asphalt shingle roof:

595132838fe7a_ExteriorElevations.thumb.PNG.73eec0c54b02f5ce5125dc5c65e44784.PNG

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

completely agreed, it will happen, I love the clarity of a rendering, coming into this industry as a builder it is so easy to distinguish the following image as a board and batten with stem wall foundation and an asphalt shingle roof:

595132838fe7a_ExteriorElevations.thumb.PNG.73eec0c54b02f5ce5125dc5c65e44784.PNG

Great elevations,  I think the only thing I would change is to take off the door and window labels.  One of labels is completely covering up a window..... so you move it....  it takes time....  change size of window....  you probably have to move the label again....  I say let the contractor refer to floor plan if he wants to know the window call out......  but you are right,  the color and the texture and your shadows make that a very understandable elevation.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dshall said:

Great elevations,  I think the only thing I would change is to take off the door and window labels.  One of labels is completely covering up a window..... so you move it....  it takes time....  change size of window....  you probably have to move the label again....  I say let the contractor refer to floor plan if he wants to know the window call out......  but you are right,  the color and the texture and your shadows make that a very understandable elevation.

Agreed, I would like to keep the labels somehow, probably a rich text overlay with some transparency etc..

Rene,

Based on the examples in your original post, I personally prefer the vector view version.  The edge definition, crisp lines, and lack of unnecessary realism help keep the focus where it should be IMO.  The one thing I would change would be the lines for the tile on the wall.  They should be made much lighter.  They clutter up the view too much.  

Here's kinda how I see it.  For any kind of construction detail drawings we want to include the required information and try to limit the unnecessary information.  In my opinion the rendering style and color CAN add a ton of that unnecessary information I'm talking about.  It may look nice but I think it can be truly distracting and even a little confusing at times and should therefore be used carefully, sparingly, and only very strategically.  

Again, this is just me but if I'm looking to print up some detailed drawings and specs for some product we'll be using onsite, I try to locate and print up the simplest and most focused detail I can find...typically a black and white line drawing with just the necessary notes and dimensions. 

I use the grayscale to make your elevations pop, lines are black and at a specific lineweight , roof lines are lighter depending on what color or grayish they are. walls are around a 50 lineweight so they are thicker. All done with anno-sets automatically.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Rene,

Based on the examples in your original post, I personally prefer the vector view version.  The edge definition, crisp lines, and lack of unnecessary realism help keep the focus where it should be IMO.  The one thing I would change would be the lines for the tile on the wall.  They should be made much lighter.  They clutter up the view too much.  

Here's kinda how I see it.  For any kind of construction detail drawings we want to include the required information and try to limit the unnecessary information.  In my opinion the rendering style and color CAN add a ton of that unnecessary information I'm talking about.  It may look nice but I think it can be truly distracting and even a little confusing at times and should therefore be used carefully, sparingly, and only very strategically.  

Again, this is just me but if I'm looking to print up some detailed drawings and specs for some product we'll be using onsite, I try to locate and print up the simplest and most focused detail I can find...typically a black and white line drawing with just the necessary notes and dimensions. 

I see your points, I think I'm with Joe and yourself on this one and may provide the vector view and clean it up a bit as you said as well as an accompanying render... a couple of things to note, I've been getting most contracts based on design, which often requires a different approach than build-sets.. and also, that I include a cabinet schedule as well as joinery details in my drawings.

i just wanted to find the balance and incorporate something new... I think there is a solution here that can include all of these elements. Not disagreeing with anyone, I'm absolutely in agreement, I just want something more!

included a newer rendering with more contrast and brighter(unrealistic) overhead light for more clarity

59515625ba2fc_Giertzeastfacingkitchen.thumb.png.29f7367ec79cab5ab0584249795d4b33.png