beginner

matrix78

Download the Reference Manual and then the User Guide which is actually a set of Tutorials to work your way through , there are links on the Help Menu in CA to them both.

There is also the Video Tutorial Library , I assume you have SSA if you just bought CA...

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/

The KB (Knowledge Base) has lots of tutorials in it too

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/database.html

There are also Sites like Chief Tutor where some stuff is free or you can become a member

http://www.chieftutor.net/training-videos.html

But best is to just try it/use it... for example as an exercise Draw the House you are living in , guided by the User Guide and asking questions here if you are stuck.

M.

How to use the Users Guide is to read every word of it and be sure and get defined ANY words that you have any attention on after reading them, getting them fully defined in the context they were used. This will better orient you to how Chief Premier is intended to be used generally.

The Reference Manual is over 2,000 pages long and is NOT to be read through like an owners manual (that is what the Users Guide is) rather read it a little at a time studying the subjects that personally interest you. After reading and or watching a video. open the software and practice doing what you studied or watched until you feel confident that you well understand what you just watched or studied. I recommend that this becomes part of a regular study period you set for yourself each day after work this 15-30 minute period is just for the purpose of you learning, little by little all the tools and functions of the software over an extended time (It took me almost a year to do this but it worked for me).

DJP

• Upvote 1

Ditto to the above- and DRAW DRAW DRAW !!!!

Anything - just keep experimenting with all the features of CA.

One more suggestion that may or may not be important- depending on how much actual building or construction experience you have you may want to enlist the help of a more experienced designer or architect to help you understand what you are really drawing.

Pretty pictures that can't be built do help anyone.;)

try to build a model for your house or a family or friends house that you have constant access to

when you are done - you will have a good understanding of how to use the software

meanwhile, read EVERY post on this forum

for awhile they will not make sense - but then you will start to pick up concepts and tips etc

as you progress try a few of the solutions for the problems that are posted

watch ALL of the training videos

then watch ALL of them again after finishing your first model

you will be amazed at what you pick up the 2nd time

learn the manual section by section as you build your model(s)

Lew

• 5 months later...
On 6/25/2017 at 5:29 PM, matrix78 said:

How to start using chief architect as a beginner

When you're trying to do something you don't know how to do, go to google, type "site:chiefarchitect.com [keyword]" and you will likely find your answer ([keyword] is whatever you're trying to do). This will restrict your search to the chief website and includes results from the tutorials, the training videos, and the chieftalk blog. This is how I learned very much, and still do.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

When you're trying to do something you don't know how to do, go to google, type "site:chiefarchitect.com [keyword]" and you will likely find your answer ([keyword] is whatever you're trying to do). This will restrict your search to the chief website and includes results from the tutorials, the training videos, and the chieftalk blog. This is how I learned very much, and still do.

That's some very handy info Chris. Funny how we

can dabble with a search engine and never really

take the time to learn how to most efficiently access

the mountains of information available there.

Properly used this could put the forum out of business. ;)