Curved wainscoting

limitless8

So I found this helpful and useful video, absolutely loved it!  

Only problem I've come across, is that in a new project of mine, I have a majestic staircase that curves with a semi-circular wall.  The problem I keep hitting is how to curved the cad lines in cross section view to achieve the same result that our friend here achieved but curved?

You could create one straight panel then take a 3d shot of it.  Turn off all layers except for the panel.  Then convert it to a symbol and assign it as a window.  The next step is to make a curved wall and place the new "window" that is really just your panel.

To expand upon what Tom said...

For panels running perfectly horizontal, you can simply use a Wall Niche.  Just set the depth to something very shallow and use the casing as your wainscot molding.  No need to convert to a symbol.  

For the panels with an angled bottom (those running up the side of the stairs) you'll need to do as Tom suggested but with some added steps... I would draw a copy of your curved wall in a blank plan, place the window(s) into that wall, use the Delete Surface tool to delete everything except your molding,  and then convert that to a symbol again, this time just as a regular fixture.  Now place that new symbol in your plan.  

Sounds like using a wall may be better than what I tried but here is- made wainscott panel with angled top and bottom, converted to cabinet door and set stretch plane so it can't resize..

Placed in a bow front cabinet as side panel inset, fooled with origins, Hard part is working out radius of the cabinet  Then 3D view, delete surfaces and converted to a symbol.

I only went as far as making it a millwork symbol (the height on that could be resized, doubt any of the rest.  Wonder if making it a molding symbol might be an option.

Anyway, kept me amused for a little bit, maybe it helps, plan with stuff I used and symbol in it.

Screen-2017-06-24_13-05-54.png

curve wainscott.zip

I was just playing around with this and it seems like it is possible to do it all with Wall Niches.

You can stack a WN on another WN.

They curve to follow the wall.

So...you can use a WN for the main panelling.

Slope the top and bottom using the Shape panel so that it follows the stairs.

Apply casing as required.

Create another WN, size and shape, add casing, etc., to represent the panels.

Overlay this WN on the larger one.

I would do a vid, but I am having trouble with Jing.

Here is a very quick example:

New Image_199.jpg

18 hours ago, javatom said:

You could create one straight panel then take a 3d shot of it.  Turn off all layers except for the panel.  Then convert it to a symbol and assign it as a window.  The next step is to make a curved wall and place the new "window" that is really just your panel.

18 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

To expand upon what Tom said...

For panels running perfectly horizontal, you can simply use a Wall Niche.  Just set the depth to something very shallow and use the casing as your wainscot molding.  No need to convert to a symbol.  

For the panels with an angled bottom (those running up the side of the stairs) you'll need to do as Tom suggested but with some added steps... I would draw a copy of your curved wall in a blank plan, place the window(s) into that wall, use the Delete Surface tool to delete everything except your molding,  and then convert that to a symbol again, this time just as a regular fixture.  Now place that new symbol in your plan.  

18 hours ago, MarkMc said:

Sounds like using a wall may be better than what I tried but here is- made wainscott panel with angled top and bottom, converted to cabinet door and set stretch plane so it can't resize..

Placed in a bow front cabinet as side panel inset, fooled with origins, Hard part is working out radius of the cabinet  Then 3D view, delete surfaces and converted to a symbol.

I only went as far as making it a millwork symbol (the height on that could be resized, doubt any of the rest.  Wonder if making it a molding symbol might be an option.

Anyway, kept me amused for a little bit, maybe it helps, plan with stuff I used and symbol in it.

Screen-2017-06-24_13-05-54.png

curve wainscott.zip

Thank you very much everybody! Always know that other chieftens are ready to help out whenever they can! I'm going to give it a try with the zip file, and see the results I can achieve, if it comes out the way I imagined it I'll post it for everybody to have a look, if it all goes wrong I'll be asking for some more help :)

13 minutes ago, limitless8 said:

Btw I just blanked out and realized that the wall niche tool I think is only available in X9?  In X8 and 7 I don't see it or am I blind?

Yes it's X9. I haven't tried it but looked like it might be the best solution. 

The panels I made are difficult to position on the wall. I tried using them as railing, balusters and such.. don't go there. 

If trying that, might try placing all the panels in a blank plan around a cad circle of proper radius, then raising heights to suit. Then either block or convert the whole batch to a symbol. At least you would only have one thing to position and changes could be made to the panel plan and swapped in and out of library. 

Yeah here's a screenshot of the staircase that spirals up between three floors, and I've been losing my nerves over how to panel that wall.  It's come down to me either drawing specifically this moment by hand or explaining it and using example photographs to the client.  Or I need to update to X9 asap and give the wall niche tool a go.

staircase.jpg

This is what I came up with.

5950fc4c4f687_Untitled5.thumb.jpg.a79b5b347addff89aa1e4b8e06b3d357.jpg

I drew the main staircase, turned off railings on right(wall) side. Used the copy/paste to duplicate the existing staircase in it's current position. Minimized it's width so it was tight to the wall. The main wainscoting back panel was created by increasing the stringer height, added a top hand rail and used the balusters to create the vertical stiles, I then duplicated this one and lowered the height a bit, replaced the top hand rail to get the panel rail just below the actual hand rail. As it is using the staircase tool all of the curvatures are taken care of automatically. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

1 hour ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

I drew the main staircase, turned off railings on right(wall) side. Used the copy/paste to duplicate the existing staircase in it's current position. Minimized it's width so it was tight to the wall. The main wainscoting back panel was created by increasing the stringer height, added a top hand rail and used the balusters to create the vertical stiles, I then duplicated this one and lowered the height a bit, replaced the top hand rail to get the panel rail just below the actual hand rail. As it is using the staircase tool all of the curvatures are taken care of automatically. 

That is deff some out of the box thinking!!! Thank you Graham, you just gave me the solution!

On 6/26/2017 at 4:26 AM, TheKitchenAbode said:

Very creative Graham.  Nice job coming up with an alternative solution!

On 6/26/2017 at 5:26 AM, TheKitchenAbode said:

+1 from me as well.  Any chance you'd be willing to do a quick vid showing that?  If not I understand, but thought id ask.

• Upvote 1

Many thanks to everyone.

Never done a video but here is the plan. I added some comments and placed each stair case component on its own layer so you can see what I did. This could be simplified if one were to make a molding profile that included the hand rail, top panel rail, back wall panel and bottom panel rail. You would then just need a separate staircase to control the vertical stiles(Balusters).

Abode_Stair Case_Wainscoting.plan

This technique could also be used to create wall moldings to follow curved walls. The only extra thing is that you would need to set the stair tread, riser and stringer material to 100% transparency so they would not display. Your molding would use the railing option.

Thanks Again!!!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, limitless8 said:

Gosh darn it, you think you could save it as an X8 file as well? (Didn't upgrade to x9 yet and file won't open)

Sorry about that, I don't have X8 active anymore. Maybe this will be your incentive to upgrade, hopefully you have the SSA program.

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...