CONNECTING BASEBOARDS

interiorarch

Hello.

I have a question on moldings placed on the large Entertainment Cabinet/Station/Unit in my current floor plan our design firm is working on. Attached are  a few screenshots for reference.

I am trying to find the easiest solution to join baseboards, similar to how I was able to join the crown molding at the top. With the crown molding I was successful in creating three different custom 3D Molding Polylines (5" H x 3/4" Wide/Depth) by turning off "Extrude Inside Polyline" within the Molding Polyline's Specification dialog. 

I created three more 3D Molding Polylines and tried the same instructions used for the crown molding but placed them at the bottom of this entire unite, however, after following the same steps I did for the crown molding, I had no luck. 

We need everything to connect seamlessly.
I look forward to hearing the best possible solution. 

Thank You! 

Entertainment_Cabinets_Baseboard.png

Entertainment_Cabinets_Baseboard_2.png

JOINING_BASEBOARDS.png

JOINING_BASEBOARDS_2.png

Thank You  @solver for the quick response.  I already did draw the CAD line in the plan view, however, I have three separated, two covering the full height cabinets, and one longer CAD line stretching across the middle base cabinet section.

Should I just use one overall CAD line, that is converted to a molding polyine running across the width of the entire entertainment unit.  Also, how do I "break it as required, shaping it to fit," once its converted into a molding polyline.

Best!

Interior Archaeology

Hi @solver.

I have applied one CAD line in the plan view and converted it to a molding polyline.  I have also tried placing a break but have had no luck trying to edit the baseboard so it runs smoothly.  The baseboard should seamlessly run from 24" Depth Full Height Cabinets into 23" Base Cabinets, similar to the crown molding on this entire unit.

I have attached my .plan document as reference, however, if you are busy, could you provide me with the video related to this technique.  

Thank you Eric.

Best!

CHIEF_TALK_IA_SUMMER_DRAFT.plan

2 hours ago, interiorarch said:

Hi @solver.

I have applied one CAD line in the plan view and converted it to a molding polyline.  I have also tried placing a break but have had no luck trying to edit the baseboard so it runs smoothly.  The baseboard should seamlessly run from 24" Depth Full Height Cabinets into 23" Base Cabinets, similar to the crown molding on this entire unit.

I have attached my .plan document as reference, however, if you are busy, could you provide me with the video related to this technique.  

Thank you Eric.

Best!

CHIEF_TALK_IA_SUMMER_DRAFT.plan

Easiest method since you are using cabinets, is to add molding to the molding tab on your cabinets dbx. and the base will wrap, even in situations where your cabinets auto fill and extend.

594d6e1407903_MoldingatBasecab.thumb.PNG.11c255dacdaf135f44b85c9c280ea8d9.PNG

• Upvote 1

Here's how I do moldings.

Once done I disonnect one edge of the molding line, copy and paste that into a warehouse plan where I keep molding stacks I've done in the past. Generally I keep the pieces at a 6 foot length and also paste a cad block next to it that shows what the stack looks like along with a name of some sort so I can quickly identify them.

Then when I need that stack I can copy and paste into a new plan.

I use this exclusively for top moldings since it allows me to make the overhang on the side of a cabinet slightly different than the front, avoids issues when cabinets are not quite what CA expects. I also like it in particular for baseboard since I'm prone to doing funny things to toe/sub bases to get what I want (which mucks up molding in applied to the cabinet in the DBX)

A rare vid from me- hope this works.

molding line.mp4

• Upvote 1