Terrain breaks, any advice on how and where it is best to use it?

chiefPT

Hi all

First of all thanks for all the help you guys are offering here. It helps very much.

I am wanting to learn terrains and I am having some issues when I try to use terrain breaks. How can I apply it without having the weird cut that splits the terrain.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, chiefPT said:

Hi all

First of all thanks for all the help you guys are offering here. It helps very much.

I am wanting to learn terrains and I am having some issues when I try to use terrain breaks. How can I apply it without having the weird cut that splits the terrain.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

terrain breaks can be unpredictable at times.  I do not think there is one answer that fits all situations.  There seem to be different solutions for different scenarios.

The advice I can give is to post a plan with the problem you are having and somebody may have a solution for your particular situation that helps us all.

• Upvote 1

I recommend that you create a terrain plane and then have that terrain break at differing height changes to get a feel for what works and what does not work. I agree with Scott in that specific advice can only be offered after evaluating a particular plan file along with an understanding of what the wanted result is to be. It depends upon how much the terrain modulates (changes) and surrounding terrain. There is a trial and error to this in terms of finding just the right combinations of objects and values that work together to cause a specific result.

The general advice I always offer is to make one change and then evaluate that change in camera views until you are satisfied with the results and then make another change, etc. Avoid making a lot of changes in terrain objects and then evaluating the results as then it is harder to know what change caused the viewed result.

DJP

On 2017-6-21 at 10:30 PM, dshall said:

terrain breaks can be unpredictable at times.  I do not think there is one answer that fits all situations.  There seem to be different solutions for different scenarios.

The advice I can give is to post a plan with the problem you are having and somebody may have a solution for your particular situation that helps us all.

Thanks, have watched a video you posted earlier " terrain break to billemery" and that was helpful. I have seen also in your video how unpredictable it could be at times.

I have read an article in knowledge base explaining about terrain break tool, cool article.

David

Thanks for the advise too. Just learning...