Printing to PDF - missing grey lines.

kiwitect

Kia ora, i am having no trouble printing to pdf (though using X6 and the options in printer name drowndown box are 'Adobe PDF' or 'Save as PDF'); however, light grey lines do not come out on the pdf (nor when printing). I have imported a pdf, made notes on it, then saving, in CA, as pdf for printing. The original pdf has all the grey lines showing on it. If i save in CA as 'Print image' the grey lines show up but the quality is vastly reduced, likewise the size of the image is no longer A3. I've tried increasing the DPI, i've checked the drawing sheet set up in plan and layout...cheers,

If you can you are better to edit and add text with a PDF editor.  Chief still has known issues with imported PDF's depending on the initial quality.  And yes you must be quite careful how light of gray you use because it may not print.  Usually just a pain but can sometimes be used to your advantage if you know where the cut off point is.  If you have SSA it would not hurt to send it in to tech to make sure they are still working on the problem or at least keep it on the list of priorities.  You could maybe trace over the lighter lines before you print if you are out of options and have a deadline.

Thanks for your replies, the thing is the lines have come in with the, i think good quality, pdf so there's quite a lot of work to redraw them all  (lots of shading lines). The pdf retains much better quality (text and black lines) than the same pdf converted to a range of image files and imported into CA, that's why i decided to use pdf, but it loses all the light grey in the pdf....i can see the grey in CA, the grey appears clearly in saved 'print images' out of CA, but not in a 'print' to pdf.

Drawzilla i also see you have some good templates and systems in place (reading your other replies), do you ever share these?

Sometimes you have to do some test prints until you get it exactly the way you need it, then set up your template plan and you never have to do it again. I don't think any templates I have would work for you b/c I set them up for me using line weights and text sizes that you might not want. I also use anno-sets for everything, most people don't. What I'm trying to say is you won't like my system and you should develop your own. I know I couldn't even draw with my friend Scott's templates b/c my mind would die using his. He loves his SAM method (He invented it) but he is a fast thinker and it works for him and a lot of others around here. I'm getting older and want to live a few more years, at least. There are a lot of other reasons not to use other templates, here in California most plans and structural are 25 pages for an addition and what my system includes you might never want on your plans. Where you are from has a lot to do with what will be included in your plan. Just create your own templates and improve them as you go, that's how I did it and still am because Chief updates every year and every year I have changes to the plan and layout.