Removing Select Frieze Boards

Chrisb222

Hi, often the houses I build have frieze in only the front gables; not in the eaves or the rear or side gables.

When I apply frieze to "gables only" it applies to all gables, which is fine because I can then select roof planes in the rear and delete the frieze on them using the Roof Plane Spec DBX.

However, occasionally one roof plane will have a gable in the front and also in the back, and so far I haven't found a way to delete the frieze from only the rear gable on such a roof plane.

I have tried various ways to separate the front gable from the rear gable by temporarily moving a wall to break the roof plane, but when I restore the roof I end up back where I started, and so far nothing has worked.

See attached pic. Also in the attached pic, I have a scissor-truss vaulted ceiling in the rear deck. I sometimes need a vaulted or barrel porch roof, and usually use a window in the gable (attic) wall with no frame, sash, or casing, which is a decent workaround, but I wonder if anyone knows a better way...

Chief X7 on Mac.

Thank you.

gable.jpg

14 hours ago, javatom said:

Shoot an elevation.  Turn off the lock on "roof trim" in the layers dbx.  You can then edit the trim to some degree.

Wow, didn't know about that. Thank you! Worked perfectly.

14 hours ago, solver said:

A better way to do what?

A better way to create a vaulted or barrel effect on the bottom of a gable end wall over a railing, as shown in the pic above with vaulted deck ceiling. I usually do it with a window in the gable attic wall, with no frame, sash, or casing. That's how I did that one, but it's lacking in accomplishing exactly what I'm after... for instance, I would like to have a non-linear beam that follows the angle of the vault or the barrel arch, but I usually resort to soffits for that. I attached a pic of a barrel porch ceiling I did where the arched bottom of the gable is a window, and the white arched "beam" is a soffit.

14 hours ago, solver said:

For the frieze, if your roof is correct and stable -- not making changes. Do as javatom said, but select the polylines that make up the frieze you want to keep. Copy them, then remove the frieze from the roof plane.

Paste the polylines back and you have your frieze.

Also good to know, thanks!

barrel.jpg

27 minutes ago, solver said:

Have you tried reshaping the wall in elevation, or a camera view?

Snap1.thumb.png.99259829e19a43d87a86effbb7244f00.png

Ah, yes I was able to do what you did. But I don't see the option to convert a straight line segment into a curve. How would you achieve a barrel, or arch effect?

Thanks Eric!

54 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

Ah, yes I was able to do what you did. But I don't see the option to convert a straight line segment into a curve. How would you achieve a barrel, or arch effect?

Thanks Eric!

Here's a pretty quick rundown of one method...

1.  Take an elevation view and Create a CAD Detail From View to get the appropriate snap points.

2.  Draw an arc in that CAD Detail.

3.  Select that arc and convert to a polyline.  Set the number of segements to the lowest number that looks good.  

4.  Cut (Control + X) and then Paste Hold Position (Control + Alt + V) that polyline into your elevation view.

OPTIONAL:  While back in your elevation view, start at one end of your arced polyline and one by one systematically disconnect each line segment and use the floating edit handle (the name and shape escape me) to drag a new vertical polyline segment straight down beyond the lower edge of your wall.  

5.  Select your wall, click on the Break tool, put it in sticky mode, and then place a break directly below the end of every one of the line segments making up your arced polyline.  

6.  Reshape your wall by snapping all your new break points to the arced polyline.  

That's one way anywho.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Here's a pretty quick rundown of one method...

1.  Take an elevation view and Create a CAD Detail From View to get the appropriate snap points.

2.  Draw an arc in that CAD Detail.

3.  Select that arc and convert to a polyline.  Set the number of segements to the lowest number that looks good.  

4.  Cut (Control + X) and then Paste Hold Position (Control + Alt + V) that polyline into your elevation view.

OPTIONAL:  While back in your elevation view, start at one end of your arced polyline and one by one systematically disconnect each line segment and use the floating edit handle (the name and shape escape me) to drag a new vertical polyline segment straight down beyond the lower edge of your wall.  

5.  Select your wall, click on the Break tool, put it in sticky mode, and then place a break directly below the end of every one of the line segments making up your arced polyline.  

6.  Reshape your wall by snapping all your new break points to the arced polyline.  

That's one way anywho.

2 hours ago, solver said:

Michael has described an accurate way.

I usually have a curved piece of trim that will hide a ragged edge, so after placing the trim, place just enough breaks that you can hide the bottom of the wall behind the trim.

Excellent, thank you both.

I need to think more creatively, ha!