Wall going through roof

ladycoralie

It should be a rule, POST THE PLAN!!!! I know many worry of rude comments or suggestions that are not what you want. BUT I can almost promise your problem will be solved by one of the many power users. I must add another comment, GIVE THESE GUYS THE POINTS THEY DESERVE FOR HELPING YOU.!!!! This site is the POWER HOUSE of Chief Architect.

• Upvote 1

It appears as the top of that wall was edited in 3D or altered in some other way.  Select the wall, open the DBX and go to the Structure tab and under Default wall Heights select Default Wall Top Height.  Done :D

Any other issues you need help with while the plan is open?

• Upvote 2

Ok I see the issue on the interior side now but it seems that even if it does not snow where you are your 87 mm rafters are not going to work  for a cathedral ceiling in combination with the ICF wall.  You will need a much thicker rafter and an interior attic filler wall that sits on top of the ICF.  Would also be helpful to updated your signature.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Chopsaw said:

It appears as the top of that wall was edited in 3D or altered in some other way.  Select the wall, open the DBX and go to the Structure tab and under Default wall Heights select Default Wall Top Height.  Done :D

Any other issues you need help with while the plan is open?

Hi Chopsaw. It didn't seem to work for me changing the default wall height in the DBX. In the end I decded to change the little gable roof to a shed roof and deleted the attic walls. That worked. The inside walls now meet the roof properly. I would have liked to have kept the little gable roof as I thought it looked pretty, but I couldn't figure it out without the wall popping through the roof. Thanks for you help. :)

roof 2.jpg

Yes I agree the gable looks better and will keep the rain out for longer.  You still have a structure and ventilation issue without addressing the rafter thickness and figuring out how to support the roof overhang.

• Upvote 2

Open the Roof Plane or Build > Roof > Edit All  Roof planes and then Structure-Roof Layers-Structure.  I changed yours with the gable roof to 235  (2x10) and it seemed to help a lot but still not sure if that would meet structural requirements for your area.

Account Settings > Signature....  X8

• Upvote 2

It all depends on the roof pitch and rafter spans, required insulation and ventilation space on top of that and right over the supporting wall is usually the most critical place.  It would be best to talk to a local contractor or building department for details. It will make more sense after you have framed and cut a cross section.

It seems that you are now using X8 ?  And sometimes it is helpful to have some computer specs in your signature if you run into performance issues and are asking those kind of questions on the forum, and anything else you care to share.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for your help Chopsaw. I have made a new roof and added some little dormers, but didn't change the rafters on the little gable section because those walls are with siding. From the outside it looks fine, but inside there are problems where the ceiling and roof meet. Is that because of the rafters, the dormers or something else? I'm just popping out to the shops, so if you don't hear from me for a little bit, that is why. Thanks again. You've been a big help to me. :)

NewRoof_with_Dormers.zip

Yes, Usually all the rafters in a joined roof section are the same size based on the worst case scenario of the roof.  It is usually just too complicated to to figure out and build a transition that works for both the upper roof surface and the ceiling surface on the bottom when it is covering just one room.  It seems a little wasteful but not sure there is a standardized way to make anything else work consistently.

• Upvote 1

Yes, Change those roof planes for the Gable dormer roof to 235 and you will see that chief can then manage to close the gaps.  If you were going to try a different size rafter you must consider a lot of things inside and out. soffit, fascia, valley location, wall height, etc , etc.....  You might consider trying to figure it out if it was an open rafter situation but otherwise probably not worth it.

• Upvote 1

Hey that worked Chopsaw. Thankyou so much. The roof looks really good on that section now and my room looks really pretty too. I changed the rafter size and the ceiling now meets the walls properly. It looks really good and I'm pretty excited by it. Thanks for teaching me something new. I can now try to apply it to the rest of the roofs when I make them.

Many thanks again, Chopsaw. :D