Slow Response with New Plan and Layout (SAM)

mrscott

Without your plan and layout files to look at no one can do anything but guess. With the rigs you have I would also be upset with the lags (which I do not have unless the plan file is huge and complicated with lots of CAD details, imported PDF's and images) which at a glance at your video I saw nothing "telling".

I am curious as to why your layout pages were all but blank and yet lagged like mad. This leads me to think that your template plans if that is what you were using, are corrupted or are the source of your slowness (your PC's are NOT the source of any lags or slowness).

Though this takes longer to do, I still recommend that you share your plan, layout and associated files with Tech Support. They specialize at such investigations, secondarily, sharing those same files here will be essential in terms of any real solutions as they are the source of your trouble.

DJP

Scott,  Do you have any PDF's ?  Are your boiler notes chief text ?  What about your saved cameras, are any of them set to be live because chief is likely still having a white dream over every blank pixel.  You could make a copy and randomly delete things until it speeds up.

David and ChipSaw,

You both hit on two points I had considered. 

1) the CAD details are PDF's and I do have live views set but only on demand. It actually sped up after I saved and relinked the files.. a bit, but I will do away with the PDF files and stick to only CAD detail management.

many thanks!

I'm not sure as I have a lot of "pdf's" in a final plan but never put them in the actual plan, I put them in the layout. The only slowness I see might be a couple seconds only on the pages with the full size "pdf's" on them like a title 24 pages at the end of the plan. With larger plans I will just not open the layout while working on the plan. I really don't see much of a slowness as you do. Lots of round railing can also slow it down, looks like you have lots of railings, try to turn them off while working on the plan. Also not sure if the Zeon's are the best CPU for Chief, ask Larry H. about that, something about multi-threading. I know he was having the same slowness.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2017 at 10:09 AM, DRAWZILLA said:

I'm not sure as I have a lot of "pdf's" in a final plan but never put them in the actual plan, I put them in the layout. The only slowness I see might be a couple seconds only on the pages with the full size "pdf's" on them like a title 24 pages at the end of the plan. With larger plans I will just not open the layout while working on the plan. I really don't see much of a slowness as you do. Lots of round railing can also slow it down, looks like you have lots of railings, try to turn them off while working on the plan. Also not sure if the Zeon's are the best CPU for Chief, ask Larry H. about that, something about multi-threading. I know he was having the same slowness.

Perry,

I found the issues. 1) have layout open while working on a plan does slow things down a bit but the real issue is...2) I have sheets in my layout that were some how still look for data that was no long directly linked to the plan file...even though I am using the SAM method when starting new plans. Dan at Chief Experts helped me clean house and fix the issue.

thanks for your suggestions.

Me too. All of you Power Users are wonderful for giving back to the community. Yes, there are Fee Based support folks but often the most valuable solutions and help come from right here. 

Thanks for all you do Perry! You're a good a man!