exterior stairs not showing on floor plan

capitaldesigns

I have been following one of Chieftutors videos where he is adding a wrap around deck with stairs to the ground.

The plan is one story with basement on a sloped lot. In the video he was on floor 0 when he added the stairs from

the ground up to the first floor deck. The stairs show up only on floor 0 and not on floor 1.  The stairs are on the

stairs & ramp layer. On both floor 0 and floor 1 that layer is turned on, but the stairs is not displayed on floor 1.

How do I get the stairs to display on both floor 0 and 1 ?

Thanks,

Mike

I would have thought that there was an ability to have the exterior stairs show up on both floors since

that is the way they are shown on the architectural plans.

If I use a reference set to show the stairs that only show up on one floor, the entire floor plan will

be displayed, not just the stairs.

Thanks,

Mike

Just to clarify what Scott is proposing.  Use invisible walls to create a room on the level above the stairs.  Open the dbx and define it as "open below"  You will then see the stairway of the other level.

10 minutes ago, javatom said:

Just to clarify what Scott is proposing.  Use invisible walls to create a room on the level above the stairs.  Open the dbx and define it as "open below"  You will then see the stairway of the other level.

That is not correct. I do not like to use invisible walls.  The invisible wall method will work but as I said it can get messy and I think Perry would agree.  The exterior stairs can easily be shown via ref sets.

I assume the stairs were drawn on level one.  I am assuming they are not showing on level 2.  Typically what I do is to put the EXTERIOR STAIRS  (NOT IN A ROOM) on a layer called STAIRS ON GRADE  (or whatever name you want),  and then if you understand ref sets,  you would ref the level 1 from level 2,  you can then turn on ref sets and turn on the STAIRS ON GRADE layer.  You will now see the stairs that are drawn on level 1 as you are looking at level 2.

If you do not understand ref sets,  I would suggest you learn them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, capitaldesigns said:

If I use a reference set to show the stairs that only show up on one floor, the entire floor plan will

be displayed, not just the stairs.

Not necessarily,   you can choose what you want shown on the ref sets.

I do not think you understand the power of the ref sets.  I suggest you learn them.

51 minutes ago, dshall said:

That is not correct. I do not like to use invisible walls.  The invisible wall method will work but as I said it can get messy and I think Perry would agree.  The exterior stairs can easily be shown via ref sets.

I assume the stairs were drawn on level one.  I am assuming they are not showing on level 2.  Typically what I do is to put the EXTERIOR STAIRS  (NOT IN A ROOM) on a layer called STAIRS ON GRADE  (or whatever name you want),  and then if you understand ref sets,  you would ref the level 1 from level 2,  you can then turn on ref sets and turn on the STAIRS ON GRADE layer.  You will now see the stairs that are drawn on level 1 as you are looking at level 2.

ref sets are the way to go.

• 3 years later...
On 6/13/2017 at 1:37 PM, dshall said:

This sounds good.
I can't find the method for changing an Object's Layer (specifically Stairs in this case) unless it is in the Properties Popup.

16 minutes ago, BeachHouse1 said:

This sounds good.
I can't find the method for changing an Object's Layer (specifically Stairs in this case) unless it is in the Properties Popup.

Found the answer.

https://www.google.com/search?q=change+an+objects+layer+chief+architect&rlz=1C1CAFB_enUS640US640&oq=chang&aqs=chrome.0.35i39j0i67i433j69i59j69i57j0i10i67i457j0i20i263j0i10i67j0i433.5613j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8