Chimney changes profile, tapers part way up

Doug_N

I have a renovation project where I am doing as built drawings for demo etc.   There is a fireplace on the ground floor that is quite wide.  The chimney protrudes out through the exterior wall, which is brick, and at the second floor, the chimney narrows down from a rectangle to a square before going through the roof plane.

How can I do that?

Doug Norton

Whitby Ontario

Canada

DSC_0898 (002).JPG

Make a brick out of psolids, assign it a special material you found on line.  Add a mortar layer around it.  You will then isolate it on a 3d view and create a symbol.  Now place it in the plan with an elaborate cut and move process.  Make sure you use a macro to give each brick a separate label.  You will want to back this all up on a ssd and link it to your dropbox account.  When you have completed the new fireplace, block them all together and create a symbol of the completed unit.  Make sure there is another macro that automatically names it in a way you will never be able to figure out again.

I'm just kidding of course.  Eric had it right.

• Upvote 2

Chief has never handled fireplaces very well, p-solids are it

Perry:

I agree and have never understood this ?

Chimneys have been around for 1000's of years

there are some very common designs

there should be a chimney tool that can create these standard shapes via dbx settings

I have been suggesting this since I started in 2004

CA - please get this feature added soonest

Lew

• Upvote 1

I saw a comment about fewer chimneys due to high efficiency gas appliances but fire places are still prevalent in single family houses. Most of my work is renovation so I have to duplicate what is there now. 

I am not sure about how to use poly lines because I a a noobee to AC

I personally think this would be something covered by better generic modeling tools.  In 20 years of designing about 800+ homes I can remember about 2 brick fireplaces - though many more masonry block/rock fireplaces.  I think the design/types/methods of all the options out there would make a "tool" in a Dbx for this very difficult.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Doug_N said:

I saw a comment about fewer chimneys due to high efficiency gas appliances but fire places are still prevalent in single family houses. Most of my work is renovation so I have to duplicate what is there now. 

I am not sure about how to use poly lines because I a a noobee to AC

If you are New to CA ..then it's a good Idea to get to know the Reference Manual but the Online Tutorials in the KnowledgeBase (KB)  are helpful too

eg : they aren't making a Chimney but the principle is the Same....

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-02925/using-polyline-solids.html

An old trick was to just use Walls and a Wedge from the Library like this old practice plan of mine: added a poly-solid wedge for you to play with too....

Brick Chimney Plan2.plan

I'm with Johnny on this for sure.  Here's what I would prolee do...

I didn't go over it in the video but there is quite a bit more that could be done to further perfect the object for different views and view types depending on what a person was after and the object could also simply be converted to a symbol once completed.  Anyway, hope this helps.

• Upvote 6

16 hours ago, johnny said:

I personally think this would be something covered by better generic modeling tools.  In 20 years of designing about 800+ homes I can remember about 2 brick fireplaces - though many more masonry block/rock fireplaces.  I think the design/types/methods of all the options out there would make a "tool" in a Dbx for this very difficult.

Funny, I've seen about 4000 masonry chimneys, they are in just about every remodel job I do.

1 hour ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Funny, I've seen about 4000 masonry chimneys, they are in just about every remodel job I do.

It's about 60/40 for me with the majority prefab fireplaces.  

Masonry fireplaces are a big problem if the chimney height needs to be increased.  Most of the time it is more cost efficient to tear it down and put in a prefab.

I think I have extended the height of a masonry fireplace maybe twice...  a big hassle.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I didn't go over it in the video but there is quite a bit more that could be done to further perfect the object for different views and view types depending on what a person was after and the object could also simply be converted to a symbol once completed.  Anyway, hope this helps.

Thank you for this example of how to handle the chimney problem.  Great tutorial and advice.  

Doug

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dshall said:

It's about 60/40 for me with the majority prefab fireplaces.  

Masonry fireplaces are a big problem if the chimney height needs to be increased.  Most of the time it is more cost efficient to tear it down and put in a prefab.

I think I have extended the height of a masonry fireplace maybe twice...  a big hassle.

Yep around here in Los Angeles county you have to extend masonry fireplaces using metal studs and stucco exterior with a metal flue liner (5 page detail), so it is easier to tear down and rebuild. Also a lot of cities around here are not letting wood burning fireplaces at all. Air quality issue. But I still have to model the old fireplaces on the plan. I have extended many many masonry fireplaces, just hope you find rebar when you do.

I think I deal with more older homes around here.

On 6/10/2017 at 6:34 PM, Alaskan_Son said:

Crazy good video Michael.  Though, I was a bit disappointed you didn't go on to model the clay liner or smoke shelf/chamber....lol :P:D

• Upvote 1