How Would You Go About Producing This Cladding?

DavidJames

In past I just created a cabinet door, which is re-sizable, making it easy to do corners and have it look very realistic...I know I always try and punch this through but for external photo-realistic renders, material regions lack distinction in transitions and relief, plus it is difficult to map them correctly for corners etc when i'm pushing 4k resolutions.

A crude example

59499a2323cb0_HardiePanel.thumb.jpg.c4ddebafb358a27bfe2bba276ebbdc32.jpgHardie Panel resizable.calibz

Rene, how do these work around windows and doors? Do they resize OK in those situations? I'm thinking about the times when a window or door corner intersects a a portion of the panel where you would have to take out a corner of the cabinet in order to maintain the overall grid pattern.

42 minutes ago, Ridge_Runner said:

Rene, how do these work around windows and doors? Do they resize OK in those situations? I'm thinking about the times when a window or door corner intersects a a portion of the panel where you would have to take out a corner of the cabinet in order to maintain the overall grid pattern.

Ah yes I forgot a crucial detail, apologies.

I have the solution, just have to dig it up, stay tuned! will have it tomorrow, have to sign off for today

On 6/13/2017 at 6:59 PM, Michael_Gia said:

Material regions are good at corners so long as you set the depth that they cut into the same thickness as the outer layer of the wall they are drawn on. 

(just a tip)

Michael,   would you mind posting a plan using your technique.  I have  not been able to make it work.   Thanks.

• Upvote 1

On 6/13/2017 at 6:59 PM, Michael_Gia said:

Material regions are good at corners so long as you set the depth that they cut into the same thickness as the outer layer of the wall they are drawn on. 

(just a tip)

I think I understand now,  the problem is the "reglet" is not recessed but flush with surface of wall.  

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, dshall said:

I think I understand now,  the problem is the "reglet" is not recessed but flush with surface of wall.  

Away from my computer but you can probably just use a gap material type for your walls' exterior layers (which will allow the "reglet" to be recessed) but then I'm not so sure the resulting solution is any different than the aforementioned method that just uses the MRs to cut the grooves.  

3 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Away from my computer but you can probably just use a gap material type for your walls' exterior layers (which will allow the "reglet" to be recessed) but then I'm not so sure the resulting solution is any different than the aforementioned method that just uses the MRs to cut the grooves.  

But then,  don't you see the STUDS (which are not black)?  

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Yup.  I would just use the method

I mentioned in the other thread(s) I referenced and add a thin extra main layer for the black shadow line.  

Yeah,  a very very very very thin layer over the studs  (maybe .00003" thick) that is black.....  that should be the answer,  thanks Michael.

• Upvote 1

I thought I had a more clever idea for this, but when I did it I just used architectural blocks of material regions with a molding profile and used "multiple copy" then used the break line tool around the windows. The nice thing about this is it is actually to spec for Hardie's reveal panels

594ab18514983_Untitled1.thumb.jpg.c7eccbd821a74061c7bac7d0690c41d1.jpg

...not the fastest process but the most visual appealing one for me. Slapped together this section of wall and rendered in about 20 min

Capture.thumb.PNG.11c4d680ba67bcea512791fb3fb75d34.PNG

Hardie Reveal Block.calibz

11 minutes ago, DavidJames said:

I just ended up using PL solids. It was actually a lot less time-consuming than I had thought. 

Here's a rough perspective view which still isn't complete. 

Front Perspective 3.png

Fantastic!! You guys are amazing.

On 6/10/2017 at 11:56 PM, Rich_Winsor said:

Here is an example of using Material Regions to cut the

grooves in the cement wall. The columns are stacked

P-Solids with a skinny P-Solid in between to represent

the grooves but all the grooves in the walls are Material

Regions set to "cut finish layers of parent object".

MR.png

How did you do the "text" on the front of the building? It disappears when I try this.

15 hours ago, StephenGreene said:

How did you do the "text" on the front of the building? It disappears when I try this.

The text is 3D text from Chief's Bonus Catalog. You can

find it in the 3D Library under Specialty/Other/Misc. There

is only one style of font but this was one of those happy

circumstances where the only font was a dead ringer for

the actual letters on the building.

BTW, that reflection in the center doors is the only known

photo of me in existence. :ph34r:

IMG_1722_zpsumfmgalh.jpg