Can someone help do my roof? Please!

SandyYoung27

I need the roof placed on this house and do not know exactly how to. Ive included my file and the images of the roof stlye they want on the home. The only thing they did differently was take off the room where the rear elevation left gable is, allowing that roof to go straight across or a flush gable. Please help or give suggestions!! 

FHP61297.plan

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

The OP would be best off hiring a professional to complete the work.  I realize after watching a few Chief videos someone gets the idea they can buy or rent Chief for a month to complete their plans, but that simply isn't the case.  I promise you will get stuck over and over through the process and you'll look back thinking a professional would have been a better route.

With all due respect, Johnny, I purchased this software (the full thing) four months ago. As well as multiple monitors for its use. This is the beginning of my career, being 22 years old and just graduating with a four year degree I have opened my own company doing plans and contracting. Im just now having enough time to learn the software and begin getting that ball rolling. I went to the training in Dallas (which was not cheap including flights, stay and the course) a couple weeks back and learned a ton. After completing the training I still did not have everything I needed to know to because lots of people that attended wasted time on specifics nitty picky stuff instead of roof structure like we had planned. So without wasting more of your time reading this, I have indeed made a large investment in getting this software, as well as putting the time in to learn and use it not just free loading for a "month."This is unfortunately the site that they told me to submit anything I had questions over and anything that I might be in a bind with and just needed another opinion. So that was all that I was doing. I apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused. 

2 hours ago, SandyYoung27 said:

With all due respect, Johnny, I purchased this software (the full thing) four months ago. As well as multiple monitors for its use. This is the beginning of my career, being 22 years old and just graduating with a four year degree I have opened my own company doing plans and contracting. Im just now having enough time to learn the software and begin getting that ball rolling. I went to the training in Dallas (which was not cheap including flights, stay and the course) a couple weeks back and learned a ton. After completing the training I still did not have everything I needed to know to because lots of people that attended wasted time on specifics nitty picky stuff instead of roof structure like we had planned. So without wasting more of your time reading this, I have indeed made a large investment in getting this software, as well as putting the time in to learn and use it not just free loading for a "month."This is unfortunately the site that they told me to submit anything I had questions over and anything that I might be in a bind with and just needed another opinion. So that was all that I was doing. I apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused. 

What made me think you were a DIY (which we get a fair bit of since Chief markets to that group) is the fact you were asking first if someone would just fix the roof for you, and it appeared you were copying a plan-book type plan.  Typically people learning the software are foremost looking for guidance on how they can get it done - which you did ask for secondarily.

I appreciate you letting us know the situation more, and I apologize if we got off on the wrong foot there.  As Perry said we all started somewhere, and good luck in your venture.   Id personally recommend someone starting out in this field to look to find a starting position at a small architectural (or design) firm and grow from there to work on your own.  You'll spent 10+ years learning on your own what would take you 1 year to learn absorbing what more experienced people know already.

Keep in mind that learning to use Chief isn't the most important aspect of design or even drafting - since Chief is simply a tool.  Its like learning how to use a hammer and then thinking you can frame a house.  Yes, learning how to use a hammer is important, but it means very little in the scope of being a framer.

Again, good luck to you.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SandyYoung27 said:

I totally get you, I started using Chief in 1994 and before that I used a pencil, stencils and a drawing board. It took me a year of blood, sweat and tears before I really started to master roofs and then terrain. You learn a little at a time. Back in those days there was no help forum, no or few videos and you either learned or died trying. If I can become an expert then anyone can, it just takes time, study and practice and lots of failures that lead to successes.

DJP

Sandy,

You will probably get better response if you post your questions in the Q&A Forum rather than Tips & Techniques.  Most gurus on these forums try to post in the appropriate location.  That said, Chieftalk isn't really designed to be a "fix my problem" resource.  Most of us will try to help, but asking for us to just fix your model isn't cool.