Split Stairway

joestilwell95

I'm adding on to an existing home where the stairs from the 1st floor to the 2nd hit a landing and turn to the right. The addition will be to the left of the stairs and I want to take another stair section from the landing to the left into the new addition. My challenge is that the new 2nd floor area will be a higher elevation than the existing 2nd floor. I have a new stair section attached in Chief but I cannot edit the two sections to the 2nd floor separately. Any ideas?

Thanks - Joe

Split Stairway.jpg

My challenge is that the new 2nd floor area will be a higher elevation than the existing 2nd floor. I have a new stair section attached in Chief but I cannot edit the two sections to the 2nd floor separately. Any ideas?

You can edit stair sections separately by selecting the stair section while holding down either the control key or shift key.  You can tell that you are editing only one section when the stair dialog only lists the one section instead of all of the connected ones.

By default the program will try to keep the start and end heights the same for T-shaped stair configurations.  This will not work well when you have two different heights.  You can override this behavior by turning off the automatic heights when needed.  You should be able to draw the existing stair using the automatic heights and then turn them off for the new section to specify whatever start and end height you need.