Symbol Etiquette and pricing

Renerabbitt

I've been and will continue to unload a lot of my custom made symbols into the symbols forum today, FREE for anyone to download...Some of the free ones I'm uploading are fantastic...I do however have a few symbols that I invested a ton of time into and would love to make a $1 for their download. Is this proper? These symbols are what make my work so detailed, they set me apart, which is how I make money, by offering them up I am giving away an asset. 

BUT..by offering them up, I am essentially adding competition that may push me toward bigger and better...I would like to know your thoughts!

This community has done so much for me, I am not shy to give back, so please share with me what your take on this would be.

• Upvote 1

I too have given a lot of my time to helping on this forum.  I get back as much as I give.  CA has done so much for my business,  I am happy to help out.

That being said,  I would set up a PayPal account and if you want money for the symbol,  post it,  offer it for free but request a donation.  If you make it easy for them,  most people will contribute some money.....  if not,  so what.

If you're creating the symbols outside of Chief (like in Studio Max, etc.) then there are lots of content vendors that you can upload to and make money. For a while I was able to earn some decent cash with TurboSquid - and sites like these are a good place to see what kind of quality commands a certain level of pricing. If your symbols are Chief specific, then Scott's advice makes a lot of sense.

I started in 2004 and until 2013 I saved every symbol I found

and bought almost every collection offered

why, because I am a "collector" and because I wanted to support those who made and offered them

If the price was right I bought them - turns out there were only a few I skipped

In Dec 2012 I retired and closed my doors and I stopped collecting

why not try to make a little money for your efforts ...

Lew

One Idea might be to start a thread on Hometalk  as their Libraries a somewhat more limited and someone may need a certain Symbol ? as they can not make symbols, and pointing out some Freebies here may garner you some other Orders too?.... just not sure if CA allows competition :)

And thanks in advance for anything I nab on the Symbols Forum

I personally don't think it's an issue setting up a PayPal account where users can donate money for your hard work in regards to the symbols you've created. 

Furthermore, there are threads within this forum where people are selling macros that they've spent the time to create to make our lives easier when it comes to drawings and calcs... I fail to see how this would be any different. That being said, you could also create your own thread showcasing all your symbols, some of them free, some of them with a price tag. 

My time is valuable so, if I can find a symbol out there that I need, 10 times out of 10 I'll purchase it rather than spend hours and hours trying to create it. 

12 hours ago, lbuttery said:

CA has never had an issue with users selling symbols

Lew

Not in the past No , but these days they are selling individual Libraries now even to the HD Line of Products Users.....

but perhaps it's not an issue not sure ...