How can I create this Fireplace?

Electromen

If you want a really nice 3D symbol for this FP, I would suggest contacting someone like David Michael and see if he would do it for you ... for a fee.  If you have some time to work on it yourself, you could used PL solids etc. available in Chief and see how it works out for you.  I guess it depends on how big of a hurry you are in and whether or not you feel up to trying to make the symbol yourself.

Edit:  I see Robert has graciously helped you out.

12 minutes ago, CJSpud said:

If you want a really nice 3D symbol for this FP, I would suggest contacting someone like David Michael and see if he would do it for you ... for a fee.  If you have some time to work on it yourself, you could used PL solids etc. available in Chief and see how it works out for you.  I guess it depends on how big of a hurry you are in and whether or not you feel up to trying to make the symbol yourself.

Edit:  I see Robert has graciously helped you out.

I've never used Polyline Solids, I need to learn that.

I see Robert's fits/inserts "into" a wall where as this model actually is suppose to hang on the outside of a wall.  You should easily be able to create this FP IMO by using PL solids.  Somewhere in Chief's libraries there are images of flames that you can insert into the box for realism similar to Robert's symbol.

Just do it in an elevation view ... cross section camera of a wall.  Establish a game plan on how many pieces you want for the box and then start by placing the PL solids on the wall, resizing, etc.  You may have to go back and forth depending on how you work it to get the pieces to your FP at the correct positions/depths in relation to the wall's surface.  There are some Chief videos on working with PL solids in elevation (cross section) views if you search the video libraries.  Once your done you will want to save your FP to your library for future use if needed.

Since your FP model is direct vent, I suspect you may be putting it on on exterior wall.  I haven't studied the PDF closely but for your symbol, you may want to include a piece that goes through the wall.  Since this "flue" or "vent" is hidden in the wall from 3D views, you could just detail this for plan views by adding the appropriate CAD box to your 2D CAD detail for your symbol so that it is obvious that it vents to the outside.

Here's a video showing a range/cooktop hood being created:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/10151/creating-custom-objects-polyline-solid-hood-symbol.html?playlist=87

There are many other videos available that may be appropriate if you do a search for "symbols".  Here's the first page of the search I did:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/search/?q=symbol&default_tab=video

41 minutes ago, rlackore said:

I use windows for fireplaces. Here's a shot at it (you can adjust the casing,etc. as necessary):Orion 46.calibz

fireplace.thumb.PNG.77bd62c72ec0a6bd72043619958b4b9c.PNG

Racklamore my friend,  that is an awesome solution,  thank you.  (I use a pass thru....  but the window with the fire attached to glass is cool)

Jeez,  I am so embarrassed I had not thought of it.......   I think for correct floor plan graphics,  a fireplace symbol must be installed......  I need to figure that part out.

.5936ddce50b67_ScreenShot2017-06-06at9_52_19AM.thumb.png.9d382dd7e97b673891bdf9303b0e22e6.png

I found a short video on the website that clearly showed how it hangs on the surface of a wall.  I do like what you did .... if used as a see through 2-sided fireplace you would need to get rid of the fireplace box behind the flames.

Okay, here's my second try, still using a window, but putting it into a no-def furred wall assigned invisible materials. I'm not saying this how it should be done, I just wanted to see if it could be done. I like using windows for fireplaces because they are easily customized for most situations. Plan still requires clean-up.

fp1.thumb.PNG.9ecab9a6e228bfdb9105ccebff422987.PNGfp2.thumb.PNG.241ec5e79626d936d3626563c13fecfd.PNG

EDIT: I accidentally uploaded the old window symbol. Here is the plan file: Orion 46.plan

Greg:

I made a stab at creating this FP for you.  I did not try to doing anything to it that is representative of the flue/vent going through a wall.  You will have to add that as CAD in plan if you want to show something like that.  It sits on the floor when placed in a plan .... you can open the symbol dbx and put 17" or whatever you want in the value box for Z.

Orion46FPImage.thumb.JPG.5b665cf82f31190c647e347de5801e6d.JPG

Here's the plan with the symbol in the library ... Orion 46 Fireplace.  I have two in the library from Robert as well ... mine has the word Fireplace added.

Orion46.plan

3 hours ago, CJSpud said:

Greg:

I made a stab at creating this FP for you.  I did not try to doing anything to it that is representative of the flue/vent going through a wall.  You will have to add that as CAD in plan if you want to show something like that.  It sits on the floor when placed in a plan .... you can open the symbol dbx and put 17" or whatever you want in the value box for Z.

Orion46FPImage.thumb.JPG.5b665cf82f31190c647e347de5801e6d.JPG

Here's the plan with the symbol in the library ... Orion 46 Fireplace.  I have two in the library from Robert as well ... mine has the word Fireplace added.

Orion46.plan

Kurt, thank you so much for taking the time to make this.  I've been using CA since 1997 and have never been able to build a 3D item.

You've given me incentive to learn it.

Greg

8 hours ago, CJSpud said:

What is the procedure to turn a symbol into a .calibiz?  I looked a little bit but didn't see anything.

I had never thought about this,  but why would you want to do this?  Is there an advantage?