SELECTING MULTIPLE POLYLINE SOLIDS AND CUTTING THEM

Larry_Sweeney

1. Is there a way to select multiple polyline solids at one time? This should be a no brainer (or I'm having a "senior" moment). I had to make a custom lattice panel. I decided to make it out of p-solids. In the process of making the unit I realized I could not select all the p-solids at one time, but had to select each individual p-solid one at a time. Am I missing something? If I'm not then this is another thing CA needs to add to the never ending list in revamping there cad tools. Maybe I just need more coffee.:)

2. The process I used was to make p-solid 3/8"x1.5" and lengths of 8' and 3" spacing between them set at 45 degrees. I then did the same at 45 degrees the other direction and in front of the first angled section. This gave me the "basic" lattice panel. I then made another p-solid with a custom cutout in the center with the shape I was after. I then coped it and took this p-solid and placed it over my lattice panel for a "subtraction". When I did the "subtraction" it would only cut the p-solids going in one direction. I then made another copy of my custom shaped p-solid, overlaid it onto the lattice panel and did a "subtraction" with the opposite angled p-solids that did not cut with my first subtraction effort. They would not cut. I tried many times using various  p-solids to do a "subtraction" but could never get the second set of angled p-solids to cut. Is this also a bug or am I going abut this all wrong? Is this the usual process in making a custom lattice panel? I know there are lattice panels in the library but they were just too small for what I wanted to show. I know this is plenty "wordy", but I hope you can get an understanding of what I did.

Thanks to all in advance for your time and advice. It's always very much appreciated.

Polyline solids have had some buggy behavior in the past.  Some of it has been fixed but maybe you found a situation that is still not behaving properly.  Probably a good idea to send in to tech support detailing EXACTLY what you did to create the second group.  

On a side note though...Are you sure you actually used Polyline solids for the second group?  Is it possible you used a slab, box, or some other object?

Anyway, I would probably personally do as Eric suggested and just convert to a solid.  A lot more possibilities that way anyway.  

Mark...................I will use your solution the next time. It seems like the best way to get the job done.

Michael................Yes, positive they were p-solids. I made the second group by copying and the reversing the first group. I do believe it's a bug and will report it.

Thanks to both of you for your time and advice. Have a great day.

15 minutes ago, Larry_Sweeney said:

Michael................Yes, positive they were p-solids. I made the second group by copying and the reversing the first group. 

Yup.  This is likely the source of your problem.  I'm away from my computer right now but until the problem is fixed I would try these potential temporary solutions...

-Reflect in plan view instead of the elevation view.

OR

After the initial left to right reflect, try to reflect again in a plan view but this time in the top to bottom direction.

OR

After the initial reflect, convert back to a plain polyline and then convert to a polyline solid from that.  

I know...all workaround solutions but they might just help keep you moving forward at least.