Waterfall Counter Top?

HumbleChief

On 6/1/2017 at 10:01 PM, Alaskan_Son said:

Many many many ways to go about this but here's my take on one of the quickest and easiest to use methods...

5930f04537b6c_Watertop1.thumb.jpg.a9a11d3a55c3bf3996b0e9ab378937c8.jpg5930f045e19c0_Watertop2.thumb.jpg.019640f844ee72db6f4bf4cb6f4690ea.jpg5930f04685129_Watertop3.thumb.png.cba411f157878d06b6e14400da55e221.png

Watertop example.plan

The 2 side pieces are cabinets that are essentially nothing but a tall countertop.  I placed them onto their own layer so the display could be adjusted and I excluded from schedule.  Flexible, easy to keep track of, and very simple to adjust as necessary.  Just add to your library or toolbar for quick future use. 

Michael is right on, and I think this is the same method that Chief used in this video, so this may be helpful.  The important thing in my opinion is the fact in line drawings and vector views using this method shows correct.  Typically these islands have no horizontal seams as the edges are 45 deg end miter cut.

15 hours ago, johnny said:

Michael is right on, and I think this is the same method that Chief used in this video, so this may be helpful.  The important thing in my opinion is the fact in line drawings and vector views using this method shows correct.  Typically these islands have no horizontal seams as the edges are 45 deg cut.

Thank you for all the great replies and help and as usual Michael is always very helpful and the method he uses is good, expected and the method most obvious to most users. I was looking for a slightly different method that uses a single cabinet to create the same effect instead of the typical 3 pieces shown in the video above and most solutions. To that end there are few different techniques here, all good, all useful and all very helpful. So another thanks to all for the help.

9 hours ago, solver said:

Another idea. 

Custom Countertop (the dark one). Add a molding to the two ends. Adjust its height to match the countertop, and the thickness as required.

Snap6.thumb.png.fa55f355e6d5670509be7a94e8b0d159.png

Gray one is also custom countertop with tall moldings.

Snap10.thumb.png.24cbe2258f6a8a4441b9f45fcc7070cd.png

VERY creative Eric - love the thinking outside the box. The only downside is to Johnny's point above about the lines showing in Vector view for those who care about such things. Otherwise should work in most cases. And darn, it almost works as a molding with a single cabinet but can't find a way to suppress the molding on the front side with a cabinet. Is there a way? That would be cool and quick.

9 minutes ago, solver said:

Like this?

Snap12.thumb.png.de8b6fa090be835fac52b85b716fa7a5.png

Place cabinet, create custom countertop. Click the front edge, check No Molding on Selected Edge.

Apply molding.

Thank you Eric but no, I was thinking of a way to accomplish the waterfall without a custom counter top, using just a single cabinet with a molding. I couldn't find a way to suppress and edge for moldings like can be done with a custom counter top.

As soon as a custom counter top is created we are again dealing with multiple pieces. Works a treat but if you change the cabinet size, the counter top has to be changed to fit. Might as well use a couple slabs/custom counter tops for the edges as Chief (and others) have suggested. I would LOVE to be missing something.

51 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Might as well use a couple slabs/custom counter tops for the edges as Chief (and others) have suggested.

Larry didn't know why you wanted to make it from a cabinet just answered that.

There is no way I'd be making the cabinets themselves as part of the top. (see the ps) . I really don't want to have any more complicated cabinet configuration than I have to AND I want accurate schedules.

I like Eric's idea of using a symbol, and took it that you just wanted something you could resize. I see no reason to use three pieces though. One waterfall symbols and separate cabinets will be the easiest to adjust in the long run.

As to accuracy (which I simply specify with the counter people in English cause that is all that counts with them) I haven't really cared about the miter detail, that said I just took a few minutes and made one in psolids from 3 pieces, converted to a symbol.

As to the cabinets themselves: Often when I have things overlap I just send the offending item off in some direction with TM by 110- 200 inches..whatever. Resize what I need and then send it back. Once back P to P, center, and TM all work even with overlapping items.

In this case it doesn't appear to be needed. I changed the waterfall symbol to the counter layer. Placed cabinets in plan, resized the counter, and moved it into place. BUT THEN I copied the whole thing, resized the counter smaller, placed a few lines at the ends and turned the layer off, then simply altered the cabinets in place, no need to move anything away. (If that counter was a cabinets it would need to move away) 

So pics attached, and guess which one is the symbol and which is the solids in the vector view.

PS- I went to check the last one of these I did, used 3 pieces but it looks like at some point in all the revisions I got fed up and stopped making the sides. The design group for the job was client, his wife (didn't agree), mother (housewife designer who liked to go to parade of homes), mother in-law (had some friends who did a kitchen), interior designer, architect, and innocent bystander (me). There were more revisions to cabinets and appliances everywhere with at least 7 variations to just the island. After the final drawings were done, the architect who told me to locate and spec the skylight changed it to two skylights, centered them on the room and had them framed and installed -then sent me a layout for the kitchen to deal with that had 30" work aisle between the island and the oven (since island was centered between skylights and there were cabinets on only one side wall the other being windows). I want things as easy to adjust as possible.

Two top symbols.png

in vector.png

with cabinet.png

16 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

Does the symbol get cut by a sink if sink installed?

It does if you make it from a cabinet and don't convert it to a symbol- but you have to change the Z origin.

It also should if you keep it as 3 pieces and the top is a sink but again you may have to fool with height.

It does not if you make it from 3 pieces and convert that to a symbol. I save all my symbol plans so would add it there and make a new symbol, few minutes.