Waterfall Counter Top?

HumbleChief

Change default separation to 2" in box construction of that cabinet. 

Note there is always a residual artifact across the bottom of the opening, flutters in standard view and I think it shows in vector if memory is correct. 

If that is troublesome AND accurate dimensions are not needed in a schedule you can increase the height by an inch then lower the cabinet into the floor. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, MarkMc said:

Note there is always a residual artifact across the bottom of the opening, flutters in standard view and I think it shows in vector if memory is correct. 

If that is troublesome AND accurate dimensions are not needed in a schedule you can increase the height by an inch then lower the cabinet into the floor. 

Awesome Mark thanks so much!!

Many many many ways to go about this but here's my take on one of the quickest and easiest to use methods...

5930f04537b6c_Watertop1.thumb.jpg.a9a11d3a55c3bf3996b0e9ab378937c8.jpg5930f045e19c0_Watertop2.thumb.jpg.019640f844ee72db6f4bf4cb6f4690ea.jpg5930f04685129_Watertop3.thumb.png.cba411f157878d06b6e14400da55e221.png

Watertop example.plan

The 2 side pieces are cabinets that are essentially nothing but a tall countertop.  I placed them onto their own layer so the display could be adjusted and I excluded from schedule.  Flexible, easy to keep track of, and very simple to adjust as necessary.  Just add to your library or toolbar for quick future use. 

• Upvote 4

Of course one could always place a couple of slabs (or cabinets that behave like slabs) next to a cabinet and always appreciate any input but I was looking for a way to create a waterfall counter using just a single entity, much more flexible and adjustable IMO.

19 hours ago, MarkMc said:

I thought I posted something else in this thread but it got lost. Mark, I could not get this technique to work. I only got wider front filler pieces but nothing that filled all the way back like a panel.

Interesting - I was trying to create just the waterfall counter top without any cabinets for a pretty unique situation (homeowners wanted to slide a table in and out from under the counter top) and didn't want to use 3 pieces (of anything) to do so and found a few limitations but found a way to get it done BUT, when trying to create a waterfall counter top with 'drawers' it turns out there's no way to use separate materials on 'panels' and 'drawers' so the method fails, unless you want to have a soap stone drawer front.

Wonder why Chief would link panels and drawers to the same material and leave doors to their own separate material?

I'll explore a little further.

Custom doors/drawers separates the materials and results using just a single cabinet with panels seem acceptable.

49 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

I could not get this technique to work. I only got wider front filler pieces but nothing that filled all the way back like a panel.

Larry attached is another plan if you need to fill in the inside edge. I was thinking cabinets would cover it.

Set side to "Side panel inset" left and right separation to 0"

Specified a custom slab  door panel on (left side). Symbol is set stretch zone for total height, width at 0, depth stretch planes are set outside the depth of the object (-5 and 5) to prevent the depth from resizing. Origin is moved to be 3/4" from the face.

IF you need different thickness legs

then you need to generate a new symbol first.I included 3 on the plan-1.25", 2" and 3" They will size with the width of the symbols but the depth remains constant.

42 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

turns out there's no way to use separate materials on 'panels' and 'drawers'

Can be done- I included a waterfall cabinet combination in the plan. I'd never do what you are after this way -too much work not enough control. I'd use the water fall as one piece place cabinets and force the top over them with point to point or Transform

New waterfall.png

waterfall cabinet.png

Waterfall counter3.plan

• Upvote 1

BTW- I really like your idea of not having to use separate pieces for the counter- at least that's how I'm going to be doing them in the future in particular since I now have them in the library .:)

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

And if that wasn't enough help :)    you apparently forgot to check the KnowledgeBase too :

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-02936/creating-a-waterfall-countertop.html

Actually checked there first but didn't want to use that technique - wanted to use a single cabinet instead of 3 pieces which is why the question was posted as it was.

4 hours ago, DMDesigns said:

I also offer a video on how to do this - as a member of ChiefTutor.com it can be found here: http://www.chieftutor.net/waterfall-kitchen-island.html

I also show the ways you can insert a sink into the top. 

ENJOY - 

Dave

Example.png

waterfall3.jpg

waterfall7.jpg

Untitled 1.jpg

... I got all excited thinking it was going to be a free video from your most wonderful website.

One of these days I'll sign up.

10 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

Actually checked there first but didn't want to use that technique - wanted to use a single cabinet instead of 3 pieces which is why the question was posted as it was.

Cool , just figured you hadn't seen it since it wasn't mentioned anywhere...

KB