Building Rustic Western Y Posts

RusticWestDesign

Everyone:

I'm working on the following house which has a garage with a gable roof, then a shed roof, then a gable roof, another shed roof, and gable for the master suite.  I couldn't get the middle gable to draw correctly even though I manually created roof planes but that's a question for a different day:

592e1cd0b1a9e_RanchwoodPerspective.thumb.png.236fd20ab636387fd852d26efba31e83.png

How do you create Y posts like on Western movie sets?  Is this something that can be done with polylines?  I think this would look great with the distressed wood and add to the whole ranchy appeal of the house.  Below is an example of the Y posts (for lack of a better term this is what I call them):

592e1ceeefd38_YPosts.thumb.jpg.db7b5ee55da56aa944afc4ec86292d8d.jpg

In elevation or section view you would create a polyline solid and set the depth to desired size of brace.  Then move the edit handles around as required to get the shape you want.  In plan view, you can then move it to post you want it attached to.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

There are Knee Braces ,under Corbels in the Millwork Library , such as Ranch , curved Ranch or Rustic you can slide upto any post you already have positioned too.

edit ..I see you have Pro not CA so search on Hometalk for MHD Stoneclad Columns , they are some I made a few years ago and posted there...

KB

Alright thanks guys.  What I keep learning is that I need ever increasing versions of Home Designer and now Chief Architect to do what I want.  I think what I'm trying to do is basic but I guess it is not.

Home Designer Architectural - could not adjust roof planes - only way to get gable into shed roofs and back into gable again

Home Designer Pro - cannot create objects or adjust/move (other than height) porch posts, including the goofy looking one in the middle of the door entry area

So I guess I will try out Chief Architect and keep watching the myriad videos and reading on here to learn.  Spent all Memorial Day weekend learning how to build the house and it was fun and satisfying.  Still have a lot to learn but it's awesome being able to see it take flight.  Eventually when we are closer to building we will need a real architect for blueprints and so the thing is structurally sound but this at least gives us a visual concept idea without having an architect have to draw out myriad ideas for us and where I can walkthrough the dream house any time day or night.  After I make the Y Posts I'll repost on here, may not be til the weekend when I have time away from work.