Lost User Library

Joe_Carrick

I just got a new laptop and after installing Chief I synced my other computers.  Unfortunately, the new laptop user library had a later date than the one on the other computers.  So now my user library is empty.

I don't have a backup that I can find.

Does anyone have any idea how to recover this?

What version of Windows is the older computer running?

Depending on the version of Windows, and whether you regularly create restore points, you can sometimes right-click a folder or file and choose 'Restore Previous Version'.

This will allow you to choose a restore point to restore that file from.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/previous-versions-files-faq

• Upvote 1

What version of Windows is the older computer running?

Depending on the version of Windows, and whether you regularly create restore points, you can sometimes right-click a folder or file and choose 'Restore Previous Version'.

This will allow you to choose a restore point to restore that file from.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/previous-versions-files-faq

Kirk,

I LOVE YOU!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

I just got a new laptop and after installing Chief I synced my other computers. Unfortunately, the new laptop user library had a later date than the one on the other computers. So now my user library is empty.

Joe, would you clarify what you mean by 'synced my other computers'?

I'm being nosy, was this manual copying or are you using a 'cloud drive' (dropbox in my case) to hold this information? Until now I haven't worried about this type of problem and was feeling 'secure' in knowing that the files also resided on other computers just in case. But I can now envision a situation where a file on 'dropbox' gets wiped-out by a 'newer date file' and this change ripples to all my other computers, as happened to you.

Fortunately, I make daily backups of my desktop PC (which includes 'dropbox) so I do have fallback recovery.

Thanks.

My user library also disappeared after upgrading to X6. Any advice?

Was the User Catalog ever there after upgrading? Also, did you have anything in the User Catalog in your previous version? For the User Catalog to contain anything on a new install you would need to migrate the older catalog over if there is anything to migrate. Otherwise make sure that the filter is not turned on. If you need help migrating you can PM me or contact support. You can also review the migration guide in your digital locker.

If you have migrated and the catalog is still empty, contact me at the tech line and we can troubleshoot why it's showing up empty.

Updated X6 and lost all my toolbars and won't let me import them either.  Talking about loosing wasted time when I am busy as hell. very Frustrating but hopefully I can say "I love you too, Kirk" with all the love that is going on in this feed. :huh:

Here is the error message that I got when I tried to restore my toolbars.

C:\p4sync\dev\Releases\16\chief\source\Toolbar\ToolbarEventHandler.cpp(207): Error #272032496

"Error loading toolbar configuration: "Default Configuration.toolbar""

8/18/2014 9:27:17 PM

Build: 16.4.0.81x64